This vegan gluten free Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Sandwich is rich and satisfying. Roasted garlic mayo compliments the roasted vegetables, basil, and balsamic vinegar.
This Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Sandwich was inspired by a sandwich I used to get at a restaurant during my lunch break many years ago. I believe the original had cream cheese, which tells me it was almost twenty years ago, since I have been vegan for 17.
I am not sure how they made their sandwich. They could have used a balsamic reduction or perhaps drizzled balsamic vinegar on top. I just remember that there was balsamic vinegar on roasted vegetables. I don’t know why I didn’t recreate this sooner because it is really easy to make, and totally worth it!
Since I have a basil plant, which I have actually been able to keep alive, I knew I had to include some basil. I love being able to grab basil leaves whenever I need them. If I can keep it alive for awhile, I will probably buy more herbs. Growing your own herbs is a wonderful way to save money.
To compliment the basil and balsamic vegetables, I made a roasted garlic mayo, which I think is worth the little bit of effort it takes to make it. For me roasted garlic is like caramelized onions in that it elevates any dish from great to awesome.
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Sandwich
- 1/4 of an eggplant, thinly sliced (1 cup sliced)
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- bread – I used Pamela’s Pizza Mix to make gluten free buns
- roasted garlic mayo
- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Marinate the vegetables in the balsamic vinegar for at least an hour to overnight.
- In a baking dish place the marinated veggies. Drizzle olive oil on top. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Bake at 450° for 10-20 minutes, or until tender.
- Roasted garlic mayo: slice about 1/2″ off a head of garlic (the pointy end), exposing the cloves, and leaving the skin on. Put the garlic in aluminum foil and drizzle olive oil on top. Cover the garlic with the aluminum foil. Roast at 450° for 35-40 minutes, or until tender.
- Squeeze garlic cloves out, mash with a fork, and mix in vegan mayo.
- Spread garlic mayo on a slice of bread. Layer vegetables on the other slice. Sprinkle chopped basil on top. Top with the other slice of bread.