This savory Camping Tofu Scramble is quick and easy to make. Customize it to your liking!
When I go camping I like to make my experience as easy as possible. That includes cooking. Camping can be a lot of work since there aren’t the conveniences of home – gathering firewood, setting up camp, cooking, cleaning up, etc. When I camp it is usually at higher elevations because I like to escape Tucson’s heat in the summer months. The higher elevation can be a strain on the body if you aren’t used to it.
I try to make meals ahead of time to make things easier for me, but if I am on a road trip for over a week, I am bound to run out of something. That was the case with my latest trip to Colorado. I ran out of breakfast food while staying at a guesthouse in Durango. Luckily there was a health food store in walking distance (which is my idea of heaven). I was set to leave to go camping for a couple of days and needed supplies. I stocked up on some produce and tofu, but I wasn’t really thinking about what seasoning I would use for the tofu. The guesthouse had some pantry items, so I grabbed a small amount of a chili spice blend.
After I settled in my camp I decided to make some Tofu Scramble. Luckily, I had packed a couple of sample packets of Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast and Bragg’s Sprinkle 24 Herbs & Spices Seasoning. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you how much was in the sample packets since I did to think to measure them, so I put “to taste” in my recipe. (It really is a matter of taste anyway.) After I added the seasonings, I added tomato and spinach. Then I realized I had a small amount of vegan cheddar, so I added that too. When I go camping I am in “go with the flow” mode. I don’t always have a plan, but make use of what is on hand. I also ran out of juice for my vodka, so I came up with a Camping Cocoa with Vodka, which turned out delicious.
When making a Tofu Scramble, you can make it many ways. I have made Tofu Scramble with turmeric, tamari, and different vegetables than used here. I have also made it with beans in my Tofu Scramble and Black Bean Breakfast Burrito. The possibilities are endless. As long as you have some seasonings and some vegetables, you can whip up a Tofu Scramble.
Camping Tofu Scramble
- 14 oz. firm / extra firm tofu
- 1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 packet Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast, or to taste
- 1 packet Bragg’s Sprinkle 24 Herbs & Spices Seasoning, or to taste
- 2 pinches chili spice blend
- 1/3 of a Hot House tomato, chopped
- 4 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup vegan cheddar shredded or chopped – I used Follow Your Heart
- If possible, press tofu first with a heavy object like a skillet on top of tofu to press out water.
- Heat oil, then add tofu, nutritional yeast, herbs and spices. Cook until slightly browned.
- Add chopped tomato and mix with tofu. Cook for a minute or so.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Add vegan cheddar and cook until it is slightly melted.