This smoky, spicy vegan Chipotle Kabocha Soup will have your taste buds screaming for more!
I eat soup pretty much all year round – yes, even in hot Tucson! I also wear sweaters indoors many months out of the year, when I also wear short sleeve shirts outside while going for a walk. What can I say? My body gets cold indoors. So, before soup season is over for the rest of you, I thought I’d post this Chipotle Kabocha Soup. Actually, I might have at least one more soup recipe planned for the next week or so. Hopefully, some of you still have cold weather to enjoy it!
This soup is one that I have made for years. I have also used butternut squash and sweet potato in it, but decided on kabocha squash this time around. It is spicy from the chipotle, but also has a slight sweet tone from the kabocha squash. You may want to serve this with some vegan sour cream to calm your palate.
Chipotle Kabocha Soup
- 1 medium kabocha squash (4 1/2 cups)
- olive oil for drizzling + 1 tablespoon sautéing
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped chipotle in adobo
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- cilantro for garnish
- vegan sour cream for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Slice kabocha squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Put cut side up on a roasting pan or baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil on top and roast at 450° for 20-30 minutes, or until tender. Let cool and remove skin. Chop into medium chunks.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add apple and chipotle in adobo. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add cumin and vegetable broth. Cook until apple is tender. Add kabocha squash and cook a few minutes more. Set aside to cool.
- Blend in a food processor or blender until smooth. If you don’t want chipotle seeds, strain soup. Reheat on stove top. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with cilantro garnish and vegan sour cream, if desired.