Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas (vegan, gluten free) -These chocolate covered bananas are truly addictive! Coat them in your favorite crunchy topping.
I don’t make or eat a lot of desserts, but when I do, it is usually something with chocolate. One of my favorite desserts is banana “ice cream” or “nice cream”. You probably know of it, if not, where have you been? Banana nice cream is just frozen bananas that are blended or put through a juicer with a blank. Basically, the blank makes the frozen bananas churn instead of juice. I like to add either a chocolate sauce or cacao nibs, nuts, and raspberries on top.
Since starting Create Mindfully, I have created a few more desserts than I normally would. Just last week I made a Chocolate Coffee Mug Cake. In fact I made two. They are supposed to be one serving, but I still haven’t finished them. Like I said, I don’t eat desserts much.
One dessert that I have fallen in love with is Raw Chocolate Coconut Almond Bark. It is raw because it contains cacao powder instead of cocoa. You could use either. Here, I have made a variation of the chocolate bark recipe. These Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas have basically the same ingredients as the bark.
Some people like to melt chocolate to make Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas. I tried that too. Trust me, you will want to take the extra couple of minutes to mix this sauce together. It is rich and addicting! You could use whatever toppings suits your fancy. I only used five. My favorite is the chocolate baking chunks – double chocolate anyone!
Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas
Makes approx. 12 halved bananas
- 6 bananas
- chocolate sauce
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- toppings – 1 tablespoon each per 1/2 banana
- coconut flakes, dark chocolate baking chunks, chopped peanuts, freeze dried strawberries, zest of some oranges (zest of 1 orange per 1/2 banana)
- Peel and cut bananas in half. Slide banana on a popsicle stick or bamboo skewer and freeze.
- Mix cacao powder, coconut oil, agave syrup, almond extract, and vanilla extract together in a bowl.
- Crush toppings that need to be crushed: dark chocolate baking chunks, nuts, and freeze dried strawberries. Zest the oranges.
- Dip frozen bananas in chocolate sauce, then in topping. You will need to work quickly because the chocolate freezes right away!