These sweet Chocolate Truffle Eggs with an Almond Date Nest for Easter are sure to impress. Made with an almond date pretzel nest.
These Chocolate Truffle Eggs with an Almond Date Nest for Easter is a vegan gluten free dessert that you can feel good about serving your kiddies (remembering of course that this is still a dessert).
The chocolate truffles contain raw cacao, which has more antioxidants than raspberries. They also have coconut oil, which is a good fat. They are rich, but not too sweet.
If you do not have cacao powder, you could use cocoa powder. The difference is cacao is the purest form of chocolate you can consume, and is more nutritious. After forming the truffles, you could roll them in coconut flakes or nuts. I did not because I like their rich flavor as is.
The almond date nest has raw almonds, dates, and gluten free pretzels sticks. Even though dates contain sugar they are better for you than refined sugar.
I was planning on making two nests: one with pretzels and one without, but the one without looked more like a ceramic bowl you would make in elementary school. The combination of the dates, almonds, and pretzels is a nice balance of sweet and salty.These sweet Chocolate Truffle Eggs with an Almond Date Nest for Easter are sure to impress! Click To Tweet
- 1/4 cup cacao powder (or cocoa powder if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate until mixture solidifies.
- Make into balls or egg shapes. If you have a melon baller, it would make the process a lot easier. I don’t, so mine are free form.
- Put back into the refrigerator. You may need to work them a couple of times to get the shape you want.
Almond Date Nest
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup Medjool dates (12 dates) – I used Natural Delights
- 1 cup gluten free pretzel sticks, broken in half
- In a food processor, mix dates and almonds until finely ground.
- Spread clear plastic wrap over a small bowl. Work mixture in your hands to help it stick together, and in chunks, fill around the inside of bowl. Refrigerate.
- After an hour or so, take the bowl out of the fridge. Remove the date bowl and peel off plastic wrap.
- Working carefully, add the pretzel sticks around the nest, working them into the date mixture. Place the chocolate truffles in the nest and serve.