These sweet and savory Coconut Tofu Fries with Mango Sauce are healthy and satisfying. They are make a great appetizer or meal.
After making my addictive Crispy Garlic Tofu Fries with Roasted Red Pepper Tahini Dip I have been looking forward to creating another recipe with tofu fries. Today I give you Coconut Tofu Fries with Mango Sauce. If you don’t like the texture of tofu, these may change your mind. The flaky coconut adds another textural dimension that even tofu haters can appreciate. Gluten free flour helps to make the tofu fries slightly crispy. I tried omitting it, but the result was softer fries.
Since coconut and mango are such good friends, I knew they would play well together. Sweet red chili sauce adds a sweet, slightly spicy kick to the Mango Sauce, which could also be used in place of peanut sauce with Vegetable Spring Rolls.
Coconut Tofu Fries with Mango Sauce
- 14 oz. extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup low sodium gluten free tamari
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup all purpose gluten free flour or rice flour
- olive oil
- mango sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 400ᵒ.
- Press tofu with a tofu press or a towel with a heavy object on top of tofu, like a cast iron skillet for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice tofu into strips. Whisk tamari, maple syrup, and coconut milk in a container large enough to hold the tofu in a single layer. Put tofu in the marinade and let sit for at least one hour. I let mine sit overnight.
- Put shredded coconut and flour in a bowl.
- Dip wet tofu strips in dry mix of flour and shredded coconut. Put on oiled aluminum foil or baking sheet.
- Bake at 400ᵒ for 15 minutes. Flip tofu strips over and bake for another 15 minutes, or until crispy. Serve with mango sauce.
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cups mango chunks
- 2 tablespoons sweet red chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon low sodium gluten free tamari
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.