These crispy Cornmeal Baked Asparagus Fries are healthy and addictive! They are served with an amazing Vegan Lemon Garlic Mayo.
‘Tis the Season
I love when Spring rolls around because one of my favorite vegetables is in season – asparagus. I can easily eat a half of a bunch in one sitting, no joke.
Normally, I like to eat my asparagus with an Asian sauce. I’ll have to post that recipe before asparagus season is over.
Today, I wanted to post a recipe that is a little more fun – Cornmeal Baked Asparagus Fries with Vegan Lemon Garlic Mayo. What could be more fun than turning a vegetable into fries, right!
A Match Made in Heaven
Lemon and asparagus are great friends, so I knew that I wanted to pair them together. Not only did I use lemon juice, but I used lemon zest as well.
If you have never used lemon zest, it is like lemon juice on steroids. It has a really strong lemon flavor.
One way to elevate mayo, is to add ingredients to it, like lemon and garlic. Just by adding a couple of things, it takes mayo to a whole new level.
Even though I used raw garlic here, one of my favorite ingredients to add to mayo is roasted garlic. Roasted garlic isn’t as pungent as raw, and it has a sweet, mild flavor. I’ve used it in my Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Sandwich. It makes a good dipping sauce too.
Another ingredient that I like to add to my vegan mayo is sriracha. Anything spicy, and I am all over it!
Even though I fry occasionally, I prefer to bake because it is healthier. To give these fries a crispy crunchy texture, I added cornmeal. Whenever I bake instead of fry, cornmeal is my go-to coating of choice. I have used it for for Cornmeal Baked Avocado Tacos, as well as other baked veggies.These crispy Cornmeal Baked Asparagus Fries with Vegan Lemon Garlic Mayo are addictive! Click To Tweet
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
Cornmeal Baked Asparagus Fries with Vegan Lemon Garlic Mayo
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 batch asparagus
- Vegan Lemon Garlic Mayo
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Cornmeal Baked Asparagus Fries: Preheat oven to 450°.
- Snap off woody asparagus ends. Then cut into the length of fries you want.
- Mix cornmeal, nutritional yeast, and salt.
- Set up two shallow containers: one with cornmeal mixture and another with almond milk. Put parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Dip asparagus into almond milk, then cornmeal mixture. Put on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Continue until all of the asparagus is coated. Bake at 450° for 10-15 minutes, or until asparagus is cooked through.
- Vegan Lemon Garlic Mayo: While asparagus is cooking, mix vegan mayo, lemon zest, lemon juice, and minced garlic together. Set aside.