This Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Spicy Vegan Grilled Cheese is perfect for a cold day when you want some comfort food!
Here I have made a Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Spicy Vegan Grilled Cheese that is great for a day like today – it is raining and very chilly here in Arizona. I roasted plum tomatoes, which has been a thing with me lately. I also used roasted tomatoes in my Roasted Tomato Sauce and my Roasted Tomato Basil Dip . I will probably make more Roasted Tomato Sauce today because I am in a pizza mood!
The Spicy Vegan Grilled Cheese is a twist on the original. I used vegan Mozzarella, vegan cream cheese, and sliced jalapeño. I love mixing things up with my vegan grilled cheese sandwiches.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup with Spicy Vegan Grilled Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 8 cups plum tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450ᵒ.
- Soak cashews for at least 1 hour. You want them to soften up so they break down easier.
- Slice tomatoes in half and put in a baking dish.
- Put peeled garlic in with tomatoes, and drizzle olive oil over tomatoes and garlic. Add salt and pepper. Roast at 450ᵒ for 20-35 minutes on middle rack, or until caramelized.
- After the tomatoes and garlic cool, mix in a blender or food processor. I mixed in two batches since there is so much.
- Add basil and cashews. Blend until smooth.
- Put the mix in a pot and add vegetable broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer 10-15 minutes.
Ingredients for Spicy Vegan Grilled Cheese:
Gluten free brown rice bread, vegan cream cheese, shredded vegan Mozzarella, sliced jalapeño, and olive oil or Earth Balance for cooking.