This indulgent vegan Eggplant Lasagna has a homemade tomato sauce with red pepper, homemade tofu ricotta, and grilled eggplant.
A friend recently gave me a bunch of produce, including a beautiful eggplant that was just begging to be made into a recipe. Also included in the produce was a gorgeous red pepper, so I knew that I had to make a recipe using both. I have had some gluten free lasagna noodles in my pantry for awhile now, and I thought it was about time to make a recipe with them. This vegan Eggplant Lasagna is the result.
I know lasagna can be a daunting task, but you do not have to do every step in this recipe. I personally think it will taste better, but if you are pressed for time, I can understand. I made my own tomato sauce with some wonderful ingredients, including the beautiful red pepper that I mentioned earlier. If you are short on time, you could buy your favorite marinara sauce. I also made a homemade tofu ricotta, which I would definitely make, because I think it really helps make this lasagna, but again, if you can’t fit it into your schedule, there are store bought vegan ricotta cheeses that would work too.
To make things easier for me, I made the tomato sauce and the tofu ricotta the day before. I do that sometimes – make a recipe in steps. Since I have to do a photo shoot with the meals that I make, I like to make things as easy as possible.
- 4 slices of eggplant cut lengthwise that are 1/4″ thick
- olive oil
- 4 slices of grilled eggplant that are 1/4″ thick (see below)
- Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz. fire roasted tomatoes with roasted garlic
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- gluten free no boil lasagna noodles – I used rice noodles
- 1 1/2 cups Tofu Ricotta or store bought vegan ricotta
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Eggplant: Brush eggplant with olive oil and cook on a grill or grill pan until grill marks appear. Flip and grill the other side. Cut off skin.
- Tomato Sauce: In a hot pan with olive oil cook chopped onion until translucent. Add finely chopped red pepper and cook until tender. Add tomato sauce, fire roasted tomatoes with roasted garlic, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook on simmer for 20 minutes.
- Lasagna: Put a small amount of olive oil in a 8×8, 9×9, or 7 ½ x 9 ½ casserole dish. Pour some of the tomato sauce mixture and spread all over pan. Place three lasagna noodles on top of sauce, overlapping if needed. On lasagna noodles spread more tomato sauce. On top of the sauce place grilled eggplant. On top of grilled eggplant, spread tofu ricotta.
- Repeat with another layer noodles, sauce, eggplant, tofu ricotta. Finish with noodles, and sauce. Bake at 350° covered for 1 hour, or until noodles are cooked through.