These cute Mini Tempeh Tacos with Pico de Gallo are sure to impress. They are easy to make and add a healthy addition to any spread.
I have been enjoying making miniature recipes as of late. First, there were the Mini Tofu Frittatas with Sweet Potato and Black Beans, then there were the Mini Bean Tostadas with Pico de Gallo and Vegan Sour Cream. They are cute, fun to make, and great for a party.
Today I made Mini Tempeh Tacos with Pico de Gallo. I got the idea for mini tacos from Nagi at RecipeTin Eats. Between these and the frittatas, I can’t decide which is my favorite. Actually, I hate picking a favorite anything, because it all depends upon the mood I am in. Usually I talk in terms of this is my latest comfort food, or I am obsessed with this lately. I mean, why limit yourself to a favorite anything? Especially when it comes to food. There are so many foods to try in the world, why limit yourself?
I am vegan and gluten free, and many people have said to me, “Wow, you are so limited.” I guess they don’t really know me. Or, for that matter don’t understand my taste buds or what I am capable of. I love to try new foods and to recreate them. In fact, I went to a restaurant just a few weeks ago and had something I have never had before. I plan on recreating it one of these days…
These Mini Tempeh Tacos with Pico de Gallo are perfect as an appetizer for a party. (Perhaps a theme party.) I have mentioned the quality of corn tortillas before when I posted my Bean Taquitos with Vegan Nacho Cheese recipe. With taquitos it is good to have a thin tortilla, otherwise you need to make it more pliable (wet paper towel and a microwave), but to make these mini taco shells you want a thick tortilla. I like both Trader Joe’s corn tortillas and Food For Life Sprouted Corn Tortillas. A thicker tortilla gets crispier, and I found that it bent better over the oven rack.
I love to cook with tempeh, but don’t do it enough. The texture is perfect for tacos. I have fed these tacos to people who are not vegan and they loved them. They didn’t miss anything. If you are gluten free make sure to read label because many tempeh products are made of a blend of grains and soy. Look for tempeh made from just soybeans.
Mini Tempeh Tacos with Pico de Gallo
- corn tortillas – like Trader Joe’s or Food For Life
- coconut oil spray or other oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz. tempeh (gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pico de Gallo
- Preheat oven to 350ᵒ.
- With a cookie cutter or a can, cut rounds in the corn tortillas. Hang them over an oven rack and spray with coconut oil spray. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes, or until crispy.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add chopped onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add tempeh, tamari, vegetable broth, tomato sauce, and all the herbs and spices. Cook until browned and liquid is reduced.
- In each taco shell, stuff a teaspoon of tempeh mixture. Top it off with a half of teaspoon of pico de gallo.