This savory comforting Peanut Butter and Blueberry French Toast is a fun treat for the weekend. It is healthy and satisfying!
*Caution… affiliate link ahead. Not to worry, it just means that if you make a purchase through this link, I will receive a small commission and I will probably buy some more kitchen gadgets.
Most days I enjoy a smoothie with Vega One. It gives me my daily vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, probiotics, greens, and protein. It is quick and easy. Some days I want to have a leisurely breakfast with something sweet. Those are the days when I reach for French toast, like this Peanut Butter and Blueberry French Toast. I included peanut butter for a boost of protein so that I stay full longer. I used blueberries and mashed them to give a fruity jam quality without the sugar of jam. Then I sweetened the blueberry juice with agave syrup so it still has a sweet note.
Peanut Butter and Blueberry French Toast
- 1 cup blueberries (frozen)
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 tablespoon gluten free all purpose flour
- gluten free bread (I used Food For Life Brown Rice Bread)
- coconut oil
- peanut butter
- Thaw blueberries and mash them in a bowl with a fork. Drain the liquid (approx. 6 tablespoons) and set blueberries aside.
- In a saucepan heat the blueberry juice and agave syrup until the sauce comes to a boil. Set aside.
- Mix the almond milk, ground chia seeds, vanilla or almond extract, and gluten free flour.
- Dip the bread into the mix.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and fry the French toast on both sides until golden brown.
- Spread peanut butter on one slice, top with blueberries and the other slice of bread. Serve with blueberry sauce for dipping.