This Roasted Cauliflower Steak Sandwich with Red Pepper and Black Olive Tapenade is rich and satisfying. Perfect for a weeknight meal.
One of my favorite vegetables is cauliflower. It is a vegetable that I don’t eat enough of. Since I was gifted with some, I decided to make this Roasted Cauliflower Steak Sandwich with Red Pepper and Black Olive Tapenade. Roasting cauliflower brings out a nutty flavor. Whenever I make cauliflower rice, I usually roast the cauliflower.
I have been enjoying sandwiches lately, so that’s why I figured a cauliflower steak sandwich was the way to go. Many years ago, before I was a full-fledged foodie, I would never have thought to put cauliflower in my sandwich. However, after watching way too many cooking and travel shows, I now experiment with many different food combinations that I wouldn’t have before.
Here I paired the roasted cauliflower with a savory red pepper and black olive tapenade. If that weren’t enough, I also added a rich basil vegan mayo. Yum!
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through those links, I will make a small commission.
Roasted Cauliflower Steak Sandwich with Red Pepper and Black Olive Tapenade
Makes 4 sandwiches
- Cauliflower Steaks
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup red pepper and black olive tapenade
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup fresh finely chopped basil
- 8 slices gluten free bread – I used black rice
- Cauliflower Steaks: Preheat oven to 450°.
- Slice cauliflower into 1/2″ steaks. You will get about 2 steaks per head of cauliflower. Put on a baking sheet or in a pan. Drizzle olive oil on top. Sprinkle oregano, salt, and pepper on top. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes, or until starting to brown and become tender.
- Sandwiches: Mix basil and vegan mayo.Toast bread.
- Spread a tablespoon of basil mayo on four slices of toast. Place a cauliflower steak on each slice. Top with two tablespoons of red pepper tapenade on cauliflower steak. Layer toast on top of tapenade.