I think simple, easy to make appetizers are a host’s best friend when it comes to entertaining. This Roasted Tomato Bruschetta recipe fits the bill. Sometimes the simplest recipes are the most elegant and satisfying.
Roasting vegetables has been a favorite go-to cooking method of mine, especially vegetables like cauliflower. Tomatoes probably come in second, which is apparent when you see how many recipes I have with them, like Creamy Tomato Basil Soup and Roasted Tomato Basil Dip. Roasting vegetables intensifies their flavors. Tomatoes become sweeter.
Here I’ve paired the tomato with one of its best friends – basil. They are a match made in heaven. I’ve also included balsamic vinegar, which is another friend of the tomatoes. For those of you who are not only vegan, but are also gluten free, I know finding a good tasting baguette can be difficult. I have been making mine out of Pamela’s pizza mix. I love the texture and the flavor. One of my favorite ways to eat it is with roasted garlic mayo on top. It reminds me of garlic bread, but without the vegan buttery spread (aka Earth Balance).
Roasted Tomato Bruschetta
Makes about 14 slices, depending on size of baguette
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 baguette, sliced – I used Pamela’s pizza mix to make mine
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half and place in a baking dish. Place 2 peeled garlic cloves in baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil on top. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Roast at 400° for 20-25 minutes. Let cool.
- Chop tomatoes and garlic. Add balsamic vinegar and chopped basil. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Broil or toast bread. Rub the other garlic clove on hot bread. Top with roasted tomato mixture. If you prefer warmed roasted tomatoes, broil until warm.
*Yep that’s an affiliate link above. If you make a purchase through that link I will make a small commission and I will probably buy some wine to go with this Roasted Tomato Bruschetta.