These Vegan BBQ Tostadas with Chipotle Hummus and Caramelized Onions are a perfect combination of sweet and spicy!
All the recipes that I have made so far with caramelized onions have been delicious. It is like a secret weapon to elevate any meal from great to excellent. Not to mention I have been caramelized onion obsessed ever since I started using them in recipes. One of my favorite recipes with them is the Caramelized Red Onion Dip, but I have to say, I am all about sauces and dips!
For these Vegan BBQ Tostadas with Chipotle Hummus and Caramelized Onions, I used my favorite BBQ sauce with vegan Beyond Chicken strips. I really like their texture, and when sliced thin they add the perfect balance to the caramelized onions and corn. The chipotle hummus adds a touch of spice, and the BBQ sauce and caramelized onions add a touch of sweetness. Sweet and spicy is a taste combination that I can never get enough of.
For these you may want to take the easy way out and use store bought tostadas. I personally prefer making my own, but then the tortillas that I buy are so fresh that they are still hot!
Vegan BBQ Tostadas with Chipotle Hummus and Caramelized Onions
Makes 6 tostadas
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + more for Beyond Chicken strips and tortillas
- splash balsamic vinegar
- 8 slices lightly seasoned Beyond Chicken strips (vegan)
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce + more for drizzling – I used Annie’s Sweet and Spicy
- 1/2 cup corn
- 6 corn tortillas (or store bought tostadas)
- Chipotle Hummus
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Brush tortillas with olive oil and cook on oven rack at 400° for 10 – 15 minutes or until crispy*.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan at medium low heat and add sliced onion. Stir the onion until it is coated with oil. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on the onions.
- Stir the onions every five minutes or so. Cooking will take about 25-30 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan, and cook a few minutes more. Set aside to cool.
- After defrosting Beyond Chicken strips, thinly slice them and chop into thirds.
- In the same pan used for the onions, add a splash of olive oil. Add sliced Beyond Chicken strips and BBQ sauce. Cook until warmed.
- Spread about two tablespoons of chipotle hummus on each corn tortilla. Add caramelized onion, corn, BBQ Beyond Chicken and a drizzle of BBQ sauce.
*Note: My tortillas took 15 minutes to bake because they are really fresh, thin and pliable. I have noticed that thicker tortillas like Trader Joe’s or Food For Life Sprouted Tortillas cook faster.