If you are a person who loves a sweet breakfast, then these Vegan Gluten Free Blueberry Pancakes are for you!
If you have seen the movie The Lord of the Rings, then you probably know that hobbits eat seven meals a day (it’s actually six meals in the book). There’s breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner, and supper. My eating habits are similar to a hobbit’s, except I get in five small meals a day instead of six or seven.
I normally like to eat a savory breakfast, so I don’t make pancakes often. Lately though, I have been having pancakes for my second breakfast. That is one meal that I always have, just like the hobbits. I always start my day with a healthy smoothie, and around second breakfast I want something hot. These Vegan Gluten Free Blueberry Pancakes have been my second breakfast recently, along with some other pancake recipes that I have been creating.
Even though larger blueberries are prettier than small ones in my opinion, I would use the small ones here. They are sweeter and they won’t burst open and make your pancakes liquidy.
Vegan Gluten Free Blueberry Pancakes
Makes approx. 10-15 pancakes
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries + more for topping
- coconut or vegetable oil
- maple syrup for serving
- Mix all dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients (except oil), and blueberries. Mix thoroughly.*
- Heat a nonstick pan or cast iron griddle over medium heat. Pour a splash of coconut or vegetable oil on hot pan. Spoon about two to three tablespoons batter onto pan per pancake. Depending upon the size of the pan, cook 3 or 4 pancakes at a time. Flip each pancake after bubbles form and golden brown on the underside. Cook the other side until golden brown.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter. Top with more blueberries. Serve with maple syrup.
*Note: If you prefer even blueberry distribution, you can pour the batter, then sprinkle blueberries into the batter.