These mini Vegan Meatball Sliders are perfect for a party! They taste like pizza, but in meatball form!
I was inspired to make these Vegan Meatball Sliders because I’ve been having fun creating recipes using Pamela’s gluten free pizza mix lately. A couple of the recipes that I’ve made using the mix are Vegan Calzones and bread for Vegan BLATs.
Since I knew the mix worked well for bread I thought I’d do something small this time and make mini sliders. I also had a plan for marinara sauce, so I decided to work on both recipes the same week. Having a theme for the week is one of my favorite ways to create recipes. It’s more efficient than working on different recipes throughout the week.
I used kidney beans because I had a can in my pantry that needed using. I originally bought them for a chili recipe, but then decided I didn’t want kidney beans in my chili after all. They are not one of my favorite beans, so mixing them into vegan meatballs seemed like a logical choice.
Making vegan meatballs is similar to veggie burgers. It’s all about making a consistency that will stay together. I added gluten free rolled oats and almond flour as a binder. I have been told the vegan meatballs taste like pizza, probably because they have basil, oregano, and tomato paste.
Vegan Meatball Sliders
*Makes 14-15 vegan meatballs
- vegan meatballs
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 15 ounce can kidney beans
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond flour or meal
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper
- mini slider buns – I used Pamela’s pizza mix to make mine (affiliate)
- marinara sauce
- basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Pour olive oil in a hot pan and cook onion on medium high heat until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Grind rolled oats until they are a fine powder in a food processor.
- To the oats, add onions, garlic, tomato paste, kidney beans, almond flour, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Form the mixture into 1 1/2″ balls. Bake on an oiled sheet at 350°, for 40-45 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Cut each mini slider bun in half. Toast the rolls in a toaster oven or bake on a baking sheet for several minutes at 350°.
- Assemble the sliders by placing a basil leaf, a vegan meatball, and a spoonful of marinara on the bottom bun. Add the top bun, secure with a toothpick, and serve.