This Vegan Monte Cristo is rich, sweet, and savory. Eat it for breakfast or other times of the day. It is perfect for the holidays!
This Vegan Monte Cristo is just one of many sandwiches that I made during a sandwich kick that I went through awhile back. One of my all time favorites during that phase was my Vegan Teriyaki Reuben with Spicy Thousand Island Dressing, probably because it has my favorite flavor combination – sweet and spicy. Yum!
Another couple of recent favorites were my Roasted Cauliflower Sandwich with Red Pepper and Black Olive Tapenade and my Vegan Submarine Sandwich. I am eating low carb right now, so just writing this post is making me salivate!
I have seen many variations of the Monte Cristo, but as I understand it, it is normally made with cheese, ham or turkey, and dipped in egg before being grilled or fried. It usually has mustard or mayo, and served with jam. Like so many recipes, I had to veganize it. Instead of meat and cheese, I used tofu bacon and vegan Swiss cheese.
This Vegan Monte Cristo is sweet and savory with a touch of spice from Dijon mustard. Raspberry jam adds a tart, sweet component, and vegan Swiss gives this sandwich a rich, creamy flavor.
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission.
Vegan Monte Cristo
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose gluten free flour
- 4 slices gluten free bread – I used brown rice
- 4 slices tofu bacon
- 4 slices vegan Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- olive oil
- Whisk unsweetened plain almond milk, ground chia seeds, and gluten free flour together until lumps are gone. Set aside.
- Spread raspberry jam on two slices of bread. Spread Dijon mustard on the other two slices of bread.
- Put 2 slices of vegan Swiss and 2 slices of tofu bacon on top of raspberry jam. Top with the remaining slices of bread, mustard side down.
- Brush a pan with olive oil. Heat on medium high heat. Dip a sandwich in the batter. Put in pan and cook both sides until golden brown. Repeat with the other sandwich.
- Toast or broil 3-5 minutes, if necessary, until vegan Swiss cheese is melted.