Are you trying to drink more water, but are finding it difficult? Is it hard for you to kick the soda habit?
Here are some ways to make your water taste better, so that you will drink more.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is a healthy additive because it helps your body keep a healthy alkaline pH level. Make sure to get an apple cider vinegar that contains the mother and is unpasteurized, unfiltered, unheated, and unpasteurized – like Bragg’s. You only need a teaspoon to a tablespoon because it has a strong taste. You may want to add a sweetener, like agave syrup. You may also want to drink it through a straw, because it can be hard on your tooth enamel.
2. Flavored vinegars – Add a little vinegar to your water with delicious flavors like orange / vanilla, lemongrass mint, blackberry ginger, and black cherry. A splash of flavor goes a long way.
3. Citrus – Lime, lemon, tangerine, orange, and grapefruit juice not only add flavor, but nutrients as well. Lemon juice in the morning is good for detoxification and it helps to balance your body’s pH.
4. Cucumber, watermelon, and other fruit – Adding cucumber, watermelon, and other fruit to water is refreshing. After adding the fruit, let it sit for awhile, so the water can soak up the flavor. I had this combo at a resort years ago and fell in love with the flavor. I recently saw at Whole Foods that they now sell water that is pasteurized with fruit in it. They have water with berries, pineapple, mint and more.
5. Bubbly – If you are missing soda, a sparkling water may help to make the transition from soda to water easier. Add any of the items listed here to add more flavor.
6. Diluted juice – Add freshly juiced or bottled to add a fresh taste without a lot of calories or sugar.
7. Sun tea or hot tea – Making sun tea is easy. Put some tea bags into a jar of water and put the jar in the sun for a few hours.
8. Ginger root – Adding ginger helps digestion, nausea, and upset stomach. Either chop up small chunks, or put some through a garlic press. Add the ginger to water, and let it sit for awhile so the water will take on the ginger flavor.
9. Herbs – Herbs like mint, basil, and lemongrass add a unique taste. Muddle the herbs like you would for a cocktail to release the flavors.