These sweet and spicy BBQ Chickpea and Mango Tacos with Pickled Peppers and Onions make a great weeknight meal!
I go through phases of making tacos. One reason is because the corn tortillas that I like come in a pack of 18-24. That one pack of tortillas usually becomes 2-3 recipes.
I like to plan the recipes ahead of time before buying the tortillas. It becomes a bit of a commitment because a couple of recipes becomes more like four or five recipes. I mean, tacos need salsa, crema, pickled peppers, or other fun condiments to go with them, right!
This time around I made tacos and enchiladas. Then I had to redo the enchiladas, so the next package of tortillas became enchiladas revised, and taquitos. I like to diversify so that I don’t get sick of what I am eating.
Sweet and Spicy
These BBQ Chickpea and Mango Tacos with Pickled Peppers and Onions came about because I had just made and posted a BBQ Sauce recipe. I needed to use up the sauce in something, so I decided on tacos because of that pack of tortillas waiting to be finished off.
Since my favorite flavor combination is sweet and spicy, I knew the ingredients in these tacos had to be sweet and spicy. That is exactly what I achieved. I personally don’t think they are too spicy, but then I like things really spicy.
The BBQ sauce is sweet and spicy already, which I cooked the chickpeas in with some onion and red pepper. Then, I added chopped mango for more sweetness. For extra spice I added some sweet and spicy pickled peppers and onions.
If you prefer, you could use mango salsa in place of the chopped mangoes and pickled peppers and onions. Either way, you’ll achieve similar results.
These sweet and spicy tacos are sure to be a hit!These BBQ Chickpea and Mango Tacos with Pickled Peppers and Onions are sweet and spicy! Click To Tweet
This makes an easy weeknight meal. The only thing I would do is make the pickled peppers and onions ahead of time. The longer they sit, the better they taste, so make them at least a day or two before the tacos.
The BBQ sauce can also be made ahead of time, although it does come together in about 15 minutes. If you are in a hurry, you could always use your favorite BBQ sauce.
The chickpea mixture also comes together quickly. You’re looking at about 30-40 minutes with everything.
Other Mexican Inspired Recipes You May Enjoy
- Cornmeal Baked Avocado Tacos
- Spinach, Tofu, and Pine Nut Enchiladas
- Teriyaki Tofu and Pineapple Tostadas with Sriracha Hummus
- Vegan Taquitos with Green Chiles
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
BBQ Chickpea and Mango Tacos with Pickled Peppers and Onions
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Olive oil
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce + more for tacos (or your favorite BBQ sauce)
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Corn torillas
- 1 cup chopped mango
- Pickled Peppers and Onions
- Sauté onions in olive oil until translucent. Add red pepper and cook until crisp tender. Add garbanzo beans and BBQ Sauce. Cook until sauce cooks down, which will take a few minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat corn tortillas on stove, by charring them directly over gas flames, being careful not to burn them. You could also heat them on a skillet over medium heat (without oil) for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Pile BBQ chickpea mixture into each one and top with chopped mango and pickled peppers and onions.