This healthy Black Olive and Avocado Sweet Potato Toast with Chipotle Crema is sweet, spicy, salty, and savory.
Sweet Potato Toast
Have you tried sweet potato toast yet? What do you think of it? I first saw it when I was watching a show on the Food Network. Being someone who loves healthy swaps, I had to try this new trend for myself.
The idea is that when you thinly slice sweet potato lengthwise you can cook it in your toaster. Since I have a toaster oven, I am not sure how it compares to a regular toaster. From watching the show, it seems like they cook about the same amount of time. I toasted it once at the full temperature, then flipped it and toasted it again at the full temperature.
You then top the sweet potato “toast” with your favorite toppings: almond butter, vegan cream cheese, avocado, or whatever you think will taste good on it. I tried it with vegan cream cheese, but because it melted immediately, it wasn’t my favorite. I wasn’t into the soft texture on top of a soft texture bit. Maybe if I add some crunch next time I will like the combo better.
This Black Olive and Avocado Sweet Potato Toast with Chipotle Crema was the other way that I tried sweet potato toast. I really like this combo because it is like eating sweet potato nachos or a loaded sweet potato.
The flavors hit the spot because I combined sweet, spicy, salty, and savory – everything I could want in a snack. I was tempted to add some pepitas (pumpkin seeds) for some crunch, but the sweet potatoes were already piled high enough.
The appeal of sweet potato toast is it replaces refined carbs. I am all for healthy swaps. Anytime that I can replace an ingredient with a healthy vegetable, I am all for it.
Other Recipes with Healthy Swaps:
- Vegan Zucchini Lasagna with Tofu Ricotta and Walnut Sauce
- Lentil and Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Cauliflower
- Vegan Spaghetti Squash Alfredo
- Maple Chipotle Black Bean Lettuce Wraps with Mango Salsa
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
Black Olive and Avocado Sweet Potato Toast with Chipotle Crema
- 1/4 ” slices of sweet potato
- Black olives, sliced
- Chipotle Dressing
- Salsa – homemade or store-bought
- Toast the slices of sweet potato on the highest setting in the toaster. Flip, and toast again. I did mine both times at the highest setting, but toasters may vary.
- Mash avocado and spread on top of sweet potato. Sprinkle salt on top.
- Drizzle chipotle dressing and salsa on mashed avocado. Place sliced black olives on top of salsa.