This rich vegan Caramelized Red Onion Dip is way more indulgent and satisfying than any store bought dip or recipe using onion soup mix.
I remember eating French onion dip with potato chips as a kid. I became a vegan about 17 years ago, and I have had French onion dip only a handful of times since.
The one I gravitated to was Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese French Onion. Unfortunately, stores in my area don't sell it anymore. Since I have had a love affair with caramelized onions lately, I thought I would make a Caramelized Red Onion Dip.
This is not your typical dip with sour cream and French onion soup mix, or however the masses are making it. By using caramelized onions, there is a rich, comfort food quality you just don't get from a soup packet.
Trust me, this dip will be the hit of the party.
I have been using yellow onions for all of my caramelized onion recipes, but this time I thought I would try red, since my yellow onion is earmarked for another recipe this week. You could use either.
I used vegan cream cheese and unsweetened plain coconut yogurt. The combo has just the right amount of creaminess.
I added a small amount of garlic to balance the sweetness of the onion. Make sure you use a small clove of garlic, or it will be too garlicky. (I know from making that mistake.)
If you like caramelized onions, you may also like this Caramelized Onion and Spinach Vegan Quesadilla.
Caramelized Red Onion Dip pictured with my Pizza Crackers.
Caramelized Red Onion Dip
Caramelized onions elevate anything that you add them to. For this red onion dip, they are the star of the show.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
Caramelized Red Onion Dip
- Heat olive oil in pan at medium heat and add sliced onion. Stir the onion until it is coated with oil. Add salt and sugar.
- Stir the onions every five minutes or so. Cooking will take about 35-40 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan.
- In a food processor, add vegan cream cheese and unsweetened coconut yogurt. Blend until smooth.
- If desired, set aside 1-2 tablespoons of chopped caramelized onion to use as a garnish.
- Add the rest of caramelized onion, minced garlic, and salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Serve with chopped onion on top.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.