These healthy baked Chickpea and Roasted Red Pepper Taquitos with Harissa Cream make a great appetizer or weeknight meal!
Like many good recipes, these Chickpea and Roasted Red Pepper Taquitos with Harissa Cream came about out of necessity and pantry ingredients. I recently went to Market on the Move, a non-profit organization here in Arizona where you get up to 60 lbs. of produce for $10.
The day that I went I came home with a box of about 18 organic red peppers. I knew immediately that I would roast most of them and store them in my freezer. I also happen to have some left over corn tortillas from an enchilada recipe and a taco recipe that I made the same week.
I didn’t want to make more tacos or enchiladas so I decided on taquitos instead. The inspiration for these taquitos came from a Roasted Red Pepper Hummus recipe that I made awhile back. When I made these there happen to be a lemon shortage, so hummus was out of the question. I decided to add spices instead.
At the last minute, I whipped up a harissa cream because I needed a dipping sauce. Sometimes last minute decisions are the best ones! The harissa cream goes really well with the flavors in these taquitos. Since harissa contains roasted red peppers, I figured it was a good choice.
Even though harissa is spicy, it isn’t too spicy here. I cooled it down with vegan sour cream. Then I squirted lime key juice in the cream and on the taquitos to brighten things up.
These baked Chickpea and Roasted Red Pepper Taquitos make a great appetizer or weeknight meal! Click To Tweet
Made with chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and roasted red pepper, these taquitos are full of nutrients. I baked them to keep them healthy, but you could also fry them if you prefer a more indulgent meal.
Even though I added spices to the taquitos, they are not spicy. The sweetness of the roasted red peppers are the predominant flavor. For kiddos, they can be served with plain vegan sour cream instead of the harissa cream to keep them mild.
Other Mexican Inspired Recipes You Might Like
- Black Bean and Corn Vegan Quesadilla
- Vegan BBQ Tostadas with Chipotle Hummus and Caramelized Onions
- Cornmeal Baked Avocado Tacos
- Spinach, Tofu, and Pine Nut Enchiladas
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
Chickpea and Roasted Red Pepper Taquitos with Harissa Cream
- Chickpea and Roasted Red Pepper Taquitos
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 6 corn tortillas
- Olive oil
- Harissa Cream
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- Key limes for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Chickpea and Roasted Red Pepper Taquitos: Mix all ingredients in a food processor (except corn tortillas and olive oil) until it is the consistency of refried beans. Scoop 2 heaping tablespoons and spread on a corn tortilla. Repeat with the rest of tortillas.
- Brush each taquito with olive oil and place on a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes, flip and bake another 8 minutes.
- Harissa Cream: Mix vegan sour cream and harissa paste.
- Serve with key limes.