This easy one serving Chocolate Coffee Mug Cake takes minutes to make. Perfect for when you want a quick treat!
I have to admit, I am not much of a cake lover, so when I saw an episode of the Today show that had a cake in a mug recipe, I knew that it was for me. A cake that is one serving, I love that!
I forget the recipe ingredients; I only remember it wasn't vegan or gluten free. I do remember that the chef used coffee because she said it brings out the chocolate flavor. Boy, was she right!
For this Chocolate Coffee Mug Cake, I put coffee as optional because I know there are people reading this who avoid coffee because of the acidity, or just plain don't like it. I personally can only drink it occasionally because too much of it hurts my digestive system.
I love the taste though, and drink it when I can. You could whip up an easy frosting to go on top, but I prefer my cake sans frosting. If I was to add frosting, I would probably melt some dark chocolate baking chips on top, because it would be quick and easy.
I like to use cacao powder in desserts and smoothies because it is in it's raw state and has a lot of nutrients. Also, I prefer it because I think it tastes better than cocoa powder, but you could use either one. I added club soda to give a fluffier consistency.
Chocolate Coffee Mug Cake
This vegan chocolate mug cake is great for when you want something sweet but don't want to spend time baking.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You may need:
Chocolate Coffee Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tablespoons gluten free all purpose flour - I used Bob's Red Mill
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee optional - I used Starbucks VIA Colombian coffee
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 teaspoons club soda
- Mix ground flaxseed with water in a coffee mug or ramekin. Let rest for five minutes to thicken.
- Add the rest of ingredients and mix thoroughly. I found a fork worked well for mixing to get out all the clumps.
- Microwave on high for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. Since microwaves differ, check after the first minute to see if is done. It if looks really moist and uncooked in areas, microwave longer.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.