This creamy vegan gluten free Lemon Garlic Pasta is what you will want to reach for when craving comfort foods.
This is the time of year that I crave comfort foods, one of them being pasta. I created this Lemon Garlic Pasta after being on a ten day fast. I was on the Master Cleanse, where you drink lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper throughout the day. I anticipated using a certain amount of lemons, but I ended up using way less because I was drinking less than I usually do on the fast, so I had a bunch of lemons left over.
What a good thing, indeed! I don’t think I would have created this Lemon Garlic Pasta if it weren’t for having so many extra lemons. The days after my fast I made a Chipotle Mint Lemonade and a Watermelon Jalapeño Lemonade to use up my lemons (both make great cocktails, by the way).
Cashews create the creamy base for this dish. Lemons add a brightness, and garlic adds a savory element. I used a gluten free shell pasta made from corn and quinoa. The pasta company is Ancient Grains. They also make a penne pasta made from lentils and quinoa, which has more protein and would also work well for this.
Lemon Garlic Pasta
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz. gluten free pasta (shells, fettucine, penne, or other) – I used Ancient Grains
- Soak cashews in 1 cup of water for at least an hour. Discard water.
- In a food processor, mix cashews, lemon juice, minced garlic, unsweetened plain almond milk, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Cook pasta according to directions, but slightly al dente.
- Pour sauce over noodles and cook for a few minutes longer.
*Note: when reheating, you may want to add a little water or almond milk to thin the sauce.