These luxurious Mint Chocolate, Chocolate Almond, and Basic Body Butters are easy to make. They are all natural, so they are good for your skin.
A few months ago I saw a Rachael Ray episode where she had a guest named Lauren on, who has lived a zero-waste lifestyle. In two years Lauren has only filled a small mason jar with trash. She composts, uses reusable containers, buys used items, and makes her own beauty and household products. What an inspiration!
She shared how she makes her own toothpaste and body butter. There were no exact amounts given, so I decided to come up with my own recipe. I love a chocolate scent so I decided to make Mint Chocolate and Chocolate Almond Body Butters. These smell so good that you want to eat them. Whenever I wear a chocolate lipgloss, I curl my lips up to my nose so that I can smell the yummy scent of chocolate. I am weird, I know.
On the show, Lauren used almond oil in her body butter, but I used jojoba and grapeseed oil, since that is what I had on hand. I read somewhere that it is good to have about a 75% solid to 25% liquid ratio when making body butters, so that is approximately what I have here.
Play around with it, and see what consistency you like. In colder months coconut oil is a solid, so I am guessing that would be considered a solid during winter. Here, I have used it as a liquid.
I keep my body butters in the fridge since it is hot now, and even with AC, they get a little too soft for my liking. After making the basic body butter, you can add your favorite essential oils.
I love a chocolate scent so I used more cocoa butter than shea butter, and added my favorite scents to accompany the chocolate.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Basic Whipped Body Butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons jojoba oil
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 cup cocoa butter
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- Put the coconut oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, cocoa butter, and shea butter in a double boiler. If you don't have a double boiler you can use a pan or glass dish on top of a pan filled with a couple of inches of water. Cook until melted on medium heat, about 20 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Let the mixture cool and set for several hours. You can put in the fridge to speed up the process.
- Once the mixture has set, whip and put into a jar or plastic container. Add your favorite essential oils or follow directions below for a Mint Chocolate Body Butter or a Chocolate Almond Body Butter.
Mint Chocolate Body Butter - Add 7-10 drops of peppermint essential oil to basic body butter recipe during whipping process.
Chocolate Almond Body Butter - Add 1 teaspoon almond extract to basic body butter recipe during whipping process.
If you love an almond scent, you may also like my Almond Cookie Sugar Scrub or my Chocolate Almond Sugar Scrub. If you prefer mint, I have a Peppermint Chocolate Sugar Scrub and a Peppermint Foot Scrub.