These Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Hemp Seed Cauliflower Rice Pilaf are perfect as a main dish or side for the holidays!
Perfect As a Main Dish For The Holidays
I first made Hemp Seed Cauliflower Rice Pilaf when I was on a low carb kick. Cauliflower rice is a great alternative to rice. It’s funny because I actually thought that I was eating quinoa when I ate it because it looked more like quinoa than rice and it has a nutty flavor like quinoa, from the hemp seeds.
To make the pilaf more a meal than a side dish I decided to make Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Hemp Seed Cauliflower Rice Pilaf. I also wanted to make a recipe that would be great for the holidays.
Being vegan, many times I fill up on sides for the holidays, or I bring my own main dish. Portobello mushrooms are meaty and filling, so they make a great main dish.
I’ll Take Sushi Please
I have never been a big fan of traditional holiday dishes, but maybe I just need to put my own spin on them. I tend to gravitate towards multicultural cuisine on the holidays, and in general for that matter.
I made stuffing one year, or dressing as some people call it, and while it turned out delicious, I remember dreading eating all the leftovers. I think it might have been too much bread for this girl!
I have been known to eat vegan sushi or falafel on the holidays. Last year I made Vegan Zucchini Lasagna with Tofu Ricotta and Walnut Sauce for my Christmas meal. For that dish, I wished I had more leftovers!
It’s probably time that I created holiday recipes with Indian or Mexican spices. Then I would be a happy camper!
Sweet and Savory
Dates add a sweet element, while turmeric, cumin, and portobello mushrooms add a savory flavor. The cauliflower pilaf reminds me of Mediterranean cuisine because it has dates and sliced almonds, so I guess I’m already on my way to having a nontraditional Thanksgiving!These Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Hemp Seed Cauliflower Rice Pilaf are perfect as a main dish for the holidays! Click To Tweet
Other Holiday Recipes You Might Like
- Vegan Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- Lentil and Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie with Mashed Cauliflower
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples with Tahini Dressing
- Vegan Mexican Hot Chocolate
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Hemp Seed Cauliflower Rice Pilaf
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Wipe mushrooms with a damp towel. Remove the caps off the mushrooms and scoop out the gills. Brush the mushroom caps with olive oil. Bake at 400° for 7 minutes. Drain the water out of the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff each mushroom with 1/4 cup hemp seed cauliflower rice pilaf, and bake for another 5-7 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender.