These vegan fusion Teriyaki Tofu Tacos are a nice change for taco night. They are sweet with a slight touch of spice.
I have been on a taco kick recently. It started partly because of Cinco de Mayo. It's also because the corn tortillas I buy come with around 24 tortillas, which means I get to make a few different recipes.
I am fortunate that I live in Tucson, Arizona. There are so many places that sell really good tortillas. The ones that I buy are made fresh daily and are piping hot when I buy them.
These Teriyaki Tofu Tacos were inspired from wanting something different than the usual Mexican inspired tacos that I normally make. Last week I made Cornmeal Baked Avocado Tacos, which were flavorful, but I wanted some fusion flavors this time.
I made a sweet and savory teriyaki sauce for the tofu and some quick pickled cucumber and onion to go with it. Since there isn't a lot of spice in these, I topped the tacos with sriracha sauce.
Other Mexican Inspired Recipes You May Enjoy
- BBQ Chickpea and Mango Tacos with Pickled Peppers and Onions
- Spinach, Tofu, and Pine Nut Enchiladas
- Teriyaki Tofu and Pineapple Tostadas with Sriracha Hummus
- Vegan Taquitos with Green Chiles
Teriyaki Tofu Tacos
These tofu tacos are the perfect marriage of Mexican and Asian cuisines.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
Teriyaki Tofu Tacos
Quick Pickled Cucumber and Onion
- Quick Pickled Cucumber and Onion: Mix brown rice vinegar and sugar together. Let sit until sugar dissolves. Add thinly sliced cucumber, onion, and serrano pepper. Let marinate at least an hour to overnight.
- Teriyaki Tofu: Mix tamari, mirin, brown sugar, garlic and ginger in a bowl. Slice drained and pressed tofu into 1/2" squares. Put tofu into marinade after sugar dissolves. If you are in a hurry, heat marinade on stovetop or microwave until sugar dissolves. Let sit for at least an hour to overnight. Add sesame oil to a hot pan. Add tofu and cook on medium high heat until tofu is slightly crispy on both sides. Add teriyaki marinade and cook until it is almost totally dissolved.
- Tacos: Heat corn tortillas on stovetop or in microwave until warm and pliable. Pile tofu on torillas. Add pickled cucumber and onion. Add chopped cilantro. Drizzle sriracha sauce on top.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.