These comforting sweet and savory Tofu Kebabs with Hoisen Sauce are perfect over quinoa or rice.
If you have never tried hoisen sauce (or even if you have), then this recipe is for you! Hoisen sauce is a Chinese BBQ sauce, with a sweet flavor. It works well in sauces and marinades. I have used it in a Sweet and Spicy Peanut Dip and a Chinese Pizza with Ginger Garlic Tofu, both of which I found addicting! So I knew I had to use it again.
I received some beautiful vegetables from a friend and knew that I wanted to use them all in one recipe, so these Tofu Kebabs with Hoisen Sauce were the result. Thank you Bobby! I originally was going to eat these as is, but because of another recipe in the works, I ended up eating these over quinoa, which I highly recommend. If you are not a quinoa fan, rice would work well too. I found that the quinoa soaked up the sauce nicely, and completed the meal.
I know for many of you there is snow on the ground and there is no way you are about to grill right now. Well, I didn’t feel like grilling either, even though there is no snow here. These were made on my grill pan.
However you decide to cook these, I think you will enjoy them. They are sweet, with a touch of saltiness from the tamari, and nuttiness from the sesame oil.
Tofu Kebabs with Hoisen Sauce
- Hoisen Sauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons hoisen sauce – I used Sun Luck (gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice – I used key limes
- 2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 14 oz. firm or extra firm tofu, drained and pressed with a heavy object on top for 15 min.
- 2 -4 cups of your favorite vegetables: I used red onion, yellow squash, zucchini, and bell pepper
- olive oil
- Hoisen Sauce: Mix all the marinade ingredients together. Reserve half in another container for dipping.
- Kebabs: Cube the drained and pressed tofu into 1″ cubes and let sit in the marinade for at least an hour to overnight. (I let mine sit overnight, for the best flavor.)
- Cut vegetables in large chunks. Skewer tofu and veggies on skewers. If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 20 minutes to 3 hours first. Brush veggies with olive oil and grill with marinated tofu on grill pan or grill over medium high heat until grill marks appear, and veggies are tender. Turn over and grill the other side.
- Serve over quinoa or rice, if desired.