Are you looking for a new way to top your vegan hot dogs? These Vegan Bánh Mì Hot Dogs will hit the spot!
First of all, yes there is a vegan hot dog under all those toppings! I took photos of this Vegan Bánh Mì Hot Dog with sauce hidden under the vegan dog and I didn't think it was photo worthy, so I had to drizzle some sauce on top.
The toppings are really what make this sandwich anyway.
I have loved the Bánh Mì ever since I first tried it almost twenty years ago. That was before I was gluten free.
Since I have yet to find a good vegan gluten free baguette to use in a tofu Bánh Mì, I decided to make a Vegan Bánh Mì Hot Dog instead.
*Update: I found out I could make buns with Pamela's pizza mix, so I finally made a Spicy Tofu Bánh Mì.
Just last week I found vegan gluten free hot dog and hamburger buns. Happy dance!
They are not cheap, but being a food blogger I just had to buy some to make my photos look complete. I mean, who wants to see a hot dog or hamburger on a tortilla, slice of bread or lettuce wrap (unless that's part of the recipe, which you may see in the future).
This Vegan Bánh Mì Hot Dog has a perfect balance of flavors. There's heat from the serrano pepper, sweetness from the pickled carrot, freshness from the cucumbers, brightness from the lime juice, and saltiness from the tamari and the vegan hot dog.
What more could you ask for?
Other Recipes You Might Like
Vegan Bánh Mì Hot Dog
Switch up your vegan hot dog by adding all the flavors of a Bánh Mì.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
Vegan Bánh Mì Hot Dog
- 1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 carrot julienned
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 2 teaspoons lime juice + more for squeezing on hot dogs
- 2 jumbo vegan hot dogs
- 2 gluten free hot dog buns - I used Ener-G
- splash of low sodium tamari per bun
- 16 thinly sliced cucumber slices
- 1 - 2 teaspoons serrano pepper finely chopped, depending on your spice level
- handful cilantro
- radishes marinate with carrot
- jalapeño instead of serrano for less heat
- Mix sugar and brown rice vinegar in a bowl. Either let sit or whisk until sugar dissolves. You can also heat the brown rice vinegar until it is warm and pour over sugar to dissolve. Once the sugar is dissolved, add julienned carrot. Let marinate in the fridge at least 2 hours.
- Mix sriracha, vegan mayo, and lime juice.
- Cook hot dogs per instructions. Slice the buns, heat in the microwave for 15-30 seconds, and hollow out a little of the bread.
- Splash a little tamari into each bun. Spread sriracha mayo sauce on buns and pile in hot dogs, cucumber slices, pickled carrot, serrano pepper, and cilantro. Squeeze lime juice on hot dogs and serve.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.