This Vegan Enchilada Grilled Cheese has all the flavors of enchiladas in a sandwich!
Today was a great day for me. I did yoga after not being able to for about 6 months. I broke my ankle back in October,and here it is the end of April as I'm writing this.
I tried one other time, but it was too painful. My yoga routine has me doing the plank pose over and over again - like 20 times or more, which is difficult with a recovering broken ankle.
I've gone to the chiropractor a couple of times, and have another appointment today. My back was out of whack from being in a wheelchair for a couple of months. Normally yoga would fix it.
What I didn't expect from the visit was the doctor adjusting my ankles. That was a pleasant surprise. Both ankles were stiff from walking funny. Getting back into yoga was wonderful, even if my muscles are a bit sore.
Vegan Grilled Cheese with Enchilada Flavors
Now onto this amazing sandwich. This vegan grilled cheese has all the flavors of enchiladas without all the work. Sautéed red pepper, mushrooms, and onions on gluten free bread with enchilada sauce and vegan cheese - yes, please!
Vegan mayo is slathered on the bread before frying and there's extra enchilada sauce to dip your grilled cheese in. It's my new favorite way to eat a vegan grilled cheese. Who needs tomato soup when there's enchilada sauce!
Fusion cuisine has been a favorite go-to for me, especially since starting the blog. There are so many ways to mix and match your favorite meals. Thai Pizza, Vegan Teriyaki Reuben with Spicy Thousand Island Dressing, BBQ Chickpea and Mango Tacos with Pickled Peppers and Onions are on my list of favorites.This Vegan Enchilada Grilled Cheese has all the flavors of enchiladas in a sandwich! Click To Tweet
How to Make a Perfect Grilled Cheese
- Grate the vegan cheese so that it melts faster. I've found that sliced vegan cheese can take awhile to melt, and many times I end up putting the sandwich under the broiler so that my bread doesn't burn.
- Fry the sandwich in vegan mayo. Since mayo is made with oil, you're frying in fat. You could also use vegan buttery spread.
- Sprinkle a little water in the pan and put a frying pan lid or metal mixing bowl over the sandwich. This dome technique helps to steam the sandwich to melt the cheese faster. Don't worry, if you only use a little water, your bread won't get soggy. You can also skip the water and just dome it.
Other Sandwiches You Might Like
- Vegan Monte Cristo
- Vegan BLAT
- Vegan Reuben Sandwich
- Vegan Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Grilled Cheese
Vegan Enchilada Grilled Cheese
Enchilada flavors without all the fuss!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
*Update since writing this: Thanks to a reader, the bread below is my new favorite bread. It is soft and fluffy like white bread.
It is Northern Bakehouse millet chia bread. I highly recommend it.
Vegan Enchilada Grilled Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, crushed in your hands
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- Enchilada Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Vegan Enchilada Grilled Cheese: Pour olive oil in a hot pan and add chopped onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add chopped red pepper and cook until slightly tender.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until tender. Add salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce and cook a couple of minutes more.
- Spread about 1/2 a teaspoon of vegan mayo on each slice of bread. This will be the outside of the sandwich because you're cooking them in the vegan mayo.
- Place 1/4 of red pepper mushroom mixture each on four slices of bread. Place vegan cheddar on top of mixture. Add a drizzle of enchilada sauce on top.
- Place a sandwich on a hot pan. Dome the sandwich with a frying pan lid or metal mixing bowl. Optional: Sprinkle a little water in the pan. This technique helps to melt the vegan cheese faster.
- Cook until golden brown. Flip, and cook the other side. Repeat with the rest of the sandwiches.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.