This Crispy Teriyaki Tofu and Cauliflower Rice has sweet and savory teriyaki sauce over crispy tofu and roasted cauliflower rice.
This Crispy Teriyaki Tofu and Cauliflower Rice is one of my favorite ways to eat tofu. The tofu is really crispy, and the sauce is sweet and savory – just what you would expect from a teriyaki sauce. I love to eat it with cauliflower rice, so that I am eating more veggies and less carbs than I would with regular rice.
If you have ever had tofu at an Asian restaurant, you may have fallen in love with their crispy tofu. I assume that they deep fry it because it is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Since I don’t don’t eat a lot of deep fried foods, it is a special treat to order it.
Since I don’t do a lot of deep frying, I thought I would recreate restaurant style crispy tofu without deep frying it. I used corn starch to achieve the texture that I wanted, which works quite well.
Here are a couple of other recipes with teriyaki sauce that you may enjoy:
Crispy Teriyaki Tofu and Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Rice
- 1 head cauliflower broken into large pieces (4 cups after being riced)
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 14 oz. extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1 green onion, chopped and divided
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Cauliflower rice: Put cauliflower in food processor. Pulse until you get a rice consistency. Spread on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper on top. Cook at 450° for 10 minutes. Stir and cook another 5-10 minutes or until tender.
- Tofu: Slice drained and pressed tofu into cubes or triangles. Dredge in corn starch – twice if you want a really crispy exterior. Heat enough vegetable oil in a pan to cover pan. Add tofu. Cook on both sides until crispy and browned.
- Teriyaki Sauce: In a saucepan combine tamari, mirin, brown sugar, garlic, white and light green parts of green onion. Cook over medium high heat until sugar dissolves. In a bowl, dissolve corn starch in water. Add to pan with teriyaki sauce ingredients. Simmer until thickened.
- Serve over crispy tofu and cauliflower rice. Top with dark green parts of green onion.