This Vegan Teriyaki Reuben has a sweet teriyaki sauce, spicy raw sauerkraut, and a spicy thousand island dressing.
There are some recipes that I get more excited over than others. I think this recipe is one of my BEST recipes yet. Yes, I am pretty excited about this one!
This Vegan Teriyaki Reuben with Spicy Thousand Island Dressing was inspired by a sandwich that I ate about twenty years ago, before I was vegan. I worked at a bar and grill that served Cajun food.
One of the items on the menu was a turkey Reuben. It had a sweet teriyaki sauce served with a spicy thousand island dressing.
Even back then my favorite combination was sweet and spicy, although I don't think I would have labeled it as such since I wasn't the foodie that I am today.
Obviously, the sandwich made an impression on me since I remember it from twenty years ago. I knew I had to veganize it and post it here on Create Mindfully to share with you all.
The original came with your average sauerkraut as I remember. I decided to elevate it a step further and include raw spicy sauerkraut (not kimchi, but spicy sauerkraut).
It not only adds more spice, but it adds health benefits as well. Raw sauerkraut retains beneficial organisms, unlike pasteurized.
If you don't like spicy food as much as I do, you could use my Vegan Thousand Island Dressing, which is not as spicy as the one below. Although, I swear if you try this combination using the spicy thousand island, it is well worth it.
The sweet teriyaki sauce compliments the spicy flavors and mellows them out a bit.
How To Make This Recipe
- Make the spicy Thousand Island dressing by mixing all the ingredients together.
- Combine tamari, mirin, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook until sugar dissolves.
- Combine cornstarch and water. Whisk until blended.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to pan. Simmer until it thickens.
- Add vegan chicken strips to the pan. Cook until sauce cooks down.
- Toast two slices of bread.
- Top the vegan chicken strips, then the spicy raw sauerkraut.
- Top with the other slice of toast.
- Serve with the spicy Thousand Island dressing for dipping (or slather it on one of the slices of toast).
Store vegan chicken and sauce in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Store spicy Thousand Island for up to 10 days. See the package on the raw sauerkraut for how long it lasts.
I don't recommend storing assembled sandwiches because they can get soggy.
Additions / Variations
- Vegan Thousand Island Dressing
- Sweet pickles
- Pickled onions or peppers
This fusion vegan reuben is sweet and spicy. If you like foods with teriyaki sauce, and you like spicy foods, I think you will like this sandwich.
Even if you aren't a sauerkraut lover, I think you will love the spicy one in this recipe. It doesn't taste anything like the pasteurized sauerkrauts that you find on the shelves. This one you'll find in the refrigerated section.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here are the vegan chicken strips I used. They just need to be heated up before eating.
Vegan Teriyaki Reuben
Spicy Thousand Island Dressing
- Spicy Thousand Island Dressing: Whisk all ingredients until blended.
- Teriyaki Reubens: Combine tamari, mirin, and sugar in a saucepan on medium high heat. Cook until sugar dissolves. In a bowl combine corn starch and water. Stir until blended. Add corn starch mixture to the pan. Simmer until sauce thickens.
- Add sliced Beyond Chicken strips to the sauce and cook for a minute or two longer, until teriyaki sauce cooks down.
- On a slice of toasted bread, top Beyond Chicken strips with teriyaki sauce, then spicy raw sauerkraut. Top with another slice of bread. Serve with a side of spicy thousand island dressing (or spread on top layer of bread). Repeat with the rest of sandwiches.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.