These flavorful fried Broccoli Fritters are an easy appetizer or meal. If you want your kids to try a broccoli recipe that they'll love, this recipe is for you!
Since my Vegetable Fritters have been such a hit among readers, I decided to add another vegan fritter recipe to the blog.
The first thought that came to mind was Broccoli Fritters since I love broccoli. They came out way better than I expected.
These fried fritters are crispy and savory. They hold together so well that if you made these big enough you could eat them as a veggie burger.
They taste a little like falafel since I seasoned them with cumin, and they are made with chickpea flour. They go really well with hummus.
They would also go well with tahini dressing or vegan ranch dressing. Stuff them in a pita with some veggies and drizzle tahini dressing on top.
Other Vegan Recipes
- Spinach and Broccoli Vegan Quiche
- Baked Eggplant Fries
- Vegan Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
How to Make Fritters
- Mix dry ingredients. Add water and whisk until smooth.
- Steam the broccoli. Chop into tiny pieces.
- Add broccoli to the batter and mix until the broccoli is well distributed.
- Add oil to a skillet. You only need enough oil to coat the pan. This is a shallow fry, not a deep fry.
- With a tablespoon, scoop the mixture onto the pan, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Tahini Dressing
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Roasted Garlic Mayo
- Roasted Red Pepper Tahini Dressing
- It's important to steam the broccoli before adding it to the flour mixture. It changes the flavor profile and you get a stronger broccoli flavor.
- When mixing the flour mixture it will look like pancake batter.
- To test your oil, sprinkle a few drops of water in the pan. If they sizzle, your pan is ready. You can also test the oil with a wooden spoon. The oil will start bubbling around the spoon.
These broccoli bites come together in no time. They make a great snack or side.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here's the chickpea flour that I used to make the fritters. I love the taste compared with other gluten free flours.
- ¾ cup chickpea flour (garbanzo bean flour)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup water
- 1 bunch broccoli florets (1 ½ cups after steaming and chopping)
- vegetable oil
Lemon Mayo (optional)
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix dry ingredients. Add water, whisk until mixed thoroughly.
- Steam broccoli until tender. Chop into tiny pieces. Fold into batter Mix well.
- Add enough oil to a hot pan to coat it. (This is a shallow fry.) You can tell the pan is hot enough when you drizzle a few drops of water and the water sizzles. Add broccoli fritter batter, a tablespoonful at a time, and fry on both sides until browned.
- Serve with Lemon Mayo or another dip.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Do You Prepear?
I have partnered with Prepear as one of their Meal Plan Pros to offer meal plans and recipes to users. It makes meal planning fast and easy! Plus it's FREE!