These flavorful fried Broccoli Fritters are an easy appetizer or meal. If you want your kids to try a broccoli recipe that they'll love, this recipe is for you!
Since my Chickpea Flour Veggie Fritters have been such a hit among readers, I decided to add another vegan fritter recipe to the blog.
The first thought that came to mind was Broccoli Fritters since I love broccoli. They came out way better than I expected.
These fried fritters are crispy and savory. They hold together so well that if you made these big enough you could eat them as a veggie burger.
They taste a little like falafel since I seasoned them with cumin, and they are made with chickpea flour. They go really well with hummus.
They would also go well with tahini dressing or vegan ranch dressing. Stuff them in a pita with some veggies and drizzle tahini dressing on top.
- Chickpea flour (garbanzo bean): I like the flavor of chickpea flour, but you could also use rice flour or an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend.
- Cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes: Add spice and flavor. Adjust each to your liking.
- Broccoli: I have only tried this recipe with fresh broccoli. Frozen broccoli should also work.
- Vegetable oil: To fry the fritters. You could also use avocado oil, sunflower oil, or another high-heat oil.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors. Adds flavor.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add water and whisk until smooth.
- Steam the broccoli. Chop into tiny pieces. You could also use a food processor. Pulse until you get tiny pieces.
- Add chopped broccoli to the batter and mix until the broccoli is well distributed.
- Add oil to a skillet. You only need enough oil to coat the pan. This is a shallow fry, not a deep fry.
- With a tablespoon, scoop the mixture onto the pan, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry patties until golden brown on both sides.
These vegan broccoli fritters are best served right away, but will last 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The best way to reheat them is in a pan on the stove. Lightly oil a skillet and fry them for 1-2 minutes until heated through. Place them on a paper towel to get off excess oil.
- It's important to steam the broccoli before adding it to the flour mixture. It changes the flavor profile and you get a stronger broccoli flavor.
- When mixing the flour mixture it will look like pancake batter.
- To test your oil, sprinkle a few drops of water in the pan. If they sizzle, your pan is ready. You can also test the oil with a wooden spoon. The oil will start bubbling around the spoon.
These broccoli bites come together in no time. They make a great snack or side.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
- Mix dry ingredients. Add water, whisk until mixed thoroughly.
- Steam broccoli until tender. Chop into tiny pieces. Fold into batter Mix well.
- Add enough oil to a hot pan to coat it. (This is a shallow fry.) You can tell the pan is hot enough when you drizzle a few drops of water and the water sizzles. Add broccoli fritter batter, a tablespoonful at a time, and fry on both sides until browned.
- Serve with Lemon Mayo or another dip.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.