This simple mashed Apple Pecan Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a healthy lunch. No mayo here! Tahini is used instead.
Chickpea salad sandwiches are one of those meals that I just can't get enough of. They are an easy go-to when you want a quick meal.
For this Apple Pecan Chickpea Salad Sandwich, I made a tahini dressing. The savory flavors of the tahini pair well with the sweet flavors of the apple.
To add even more sweetness, I added dried cranberries. I used pecans for some crunch, but you could use walnuts or roasted cashews if you want.
The other chickpea salad sandwich recipes I've made are my Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Chickpea Salad Sandwich and my Chickpea Salad Sandwich.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): Adds a mild nutty flavor.
- Apples: I used Gala apples, but you could use your favorite.
- Pecans: For some crunch. You could also use walnuts or roasted cashews.
- Dried cranberries: Adds a sweet tart flavor. You could also use dried cherries or raisins.
- Tahini: Adds a nutty sesame flavor.
- Lemon juice: Adds a bright tart flavor.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Salt: Enhances the other flavors.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
This chickpea salad recipe will last about 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Mix the tahini dressing first. Then add the chickpeas to it. That way the chickpeas soak up the dressing as you mash them.
- Use a pastry blender to mash the chickpeas. Mashing the chickpeas helps to keep them in the sandwich. A pastry blender is faster than using a fork, and it's less cleanup than a food processor. Also, with a food processor if you're not careful, you'll end up with hummus if you overmix.
- Next, add the chopped pecans, apple, and dried cranberries.
- Add salt to taste. Start with a small amount. You can always add more, but you can't take it away.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Walnut, roasted cashews or almonds
- Dried cherries or raisins
- Green onions
- Soy curls
- Vegan chicken
- Firm tofu
- White beans
- Vegan mayo or vegan yogurt
- Dijon mustard
🥪 Other Vegan Sandwiches
This chickpea salad sandwich is sweet and savory!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Apple Pecan Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Mix all ingredients.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Add garbanzo beans. Mash with a fork, of if you have one, a pastry blender. Mash at least half the garbanzo beans.
- Add the chopped apple, pecans, dried cranberries, and tahini dressing. Mix well. Add salt to taste.
- Toast bread. Spread Roasted Garlic Hummus on one slice, if desired. Pile on the chickpea salad and top with other piece of toast.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.