This simple mashed Apple Pecan Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a healthy lunch. No mayo here! Tahini is used instead.
Chickpea salad sandwiches are one of those meals that I just can’t get enough of. They are an easy go-to when you want a quick meal.
For this Apple Pecan Chickpea Salad Sandwich I made a tahini dressing. The savory flavors of the tahini pair well with the sweet flavors of the apple.
To add even more sweetness, I added dried cranberries. I used pecans for some crunch, but you could use walnuts or roasted cashews if you want.
I’ve actually made a similar sandwich a few years ago but with a different dressing. This vegan chickpea sandwich happened totally by accident. I just happened to have similar ingredients in my pantry.
I ended up eating my vegan chickpea salad sandwich with roasted garlic hummus, but it isn’t necessary. Since hummus has tahini, garlic, and lemon juice, it just amps up those flavors even more.
How to Make an Apple Pecan Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Mix the tahini dressing first. Combine tahini paste, garlic, lemon juice, and salt. Next add the chickpeas.
Using a pastry blender, potato masher or a fork, mash at least half the chickpeas. Add chopped apple, pecans, and dried cranberries, and mix well.
This simple mashed Apple Pecan Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a healthy lunch. No mayo here! Tahini is used instead. Click To Tweet
Other Vegan Sandwiches You Might Like
- Portobello Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Sliders
- Vegan Refried Bean Burrito with Jalapeño Cilantro Hummus
- ALT (Avocado, Lettuce, and Tomato) Wrap
- Veggie Sandwich with Basil Pesto Hummus
Tips For Making a Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Mix the tahini dressing first. Then add the chickpeas to it. That way the chickpeas soak up the dressing as you mash them.
- Use a pastry blender to mash the chickpeas. Mashing the chickpeas helps to keep them in the sandwich. A pastry blender is faster than using a fork, and it’s less cleanup than a food processor. Also, with a food processor if you’re not careful, you’ll end up with hummus if you overmix.
- Next, add the chopped pecans, apple, and dried cranberries.
- Add salt to taste. Start with a small amount. You can always add more, but you can’t take it away.
Apple Pecan Chickpea Salad Sandwich
This chickpea salad sandwich is sweet and savory!
*Don’t forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
A pastry blender works great for mashing chickpeas. It takes a lot less time than mashing with a fork, and it’s less cleanup than using a food processor.
Apple Pecan Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Tahini Dressing: Mix all ingredients.
- Chickpea Salad Sandwich: Add garbanzo beans. Mash with a fork, of if you have one, a pastry blender. Mash at least half the garbanzo beans.
- Add the chopped pecans and dried cranberries. Mix well. Add salt to taste.
- Toast bread. Spread Roasted Garlic Hummus on one slice, if desired. Pile on the chickpea salad and top with other piece of toast.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Do You Prepear?
I have partnered with Prepear as one of their Meal Plan Pros to offer meal plans and recipes to users. It makes meal planning fast and easy! Plus it’s FREE!