These sweet Chocolate Almond Pancakes are the perfect brunch treat! Chocolate and almond are a match made in heaven!
Chocolate and almond are best friends, so these Chocolate Almond Pancakes have the perfect combination of flavors.
For the almond flavor, I used almond extract and super fine almond flour. Then I added sliced almonds and cacao nibs for some crunch.
The cacao nibs balance out the sweetness of the pancakes because they are slightly bitter. You could also top the pancakes with chocolate chips.
Top these pancakes with your favorite topping like fresh fruit, nuts, or nut butter. I enjoyed mine with fresh raspberries and almond butter the second time around.
Chocolate Chip Pancakes are another fun pancake recipe to sneak some chocolate in.
❤️ Why You'll Love Them
- They are sweet and chocolaty.
- Made with simple ingredients, they are perfect for brunch.
- They are made in under 30 minutes.
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour: I used gluten-free all purpose baking flour. Use your favorite all purpose flour.
- Superfine almond flour: Make sure to get the superfine almond flour. You don't want almond meal because it contains the skins of the almonds and has a coarse texture.
- Baking powder: Makes the pancakes light and fluffy.
- Cacao powder: Adds chocolaty flavor. You could also use cocoa powder.
- Flax meal: Acts as a binder. You could also use ground chia seeds.
- Salt: Enhances sweetness. I like to use sea salt.
- Maple syrup: Adds sweetness. You could also use agave syrup.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances flavors.
- Almond extract: Adds a fruity flavor. You could leave it out.
- Almond milk: I used unsweetened almond milk. You could use plain or vanilla almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, or another non-dairy milk.
- Vegan butter: For cooking the pancakes. You could also use coconut oil.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Add the dry ingredients to a medium bowl.
Step 2: Whisk to combine.
Step 3: Add the wet ingredients to the bowl.
Step 4: Whisk to combine.
Step 5: Add vegan butter to a large skillet. Heat on high heat. Pour a few tablespoonfuls of the batter onto the skillet. Repeat with 1 -2 more pancakes depending on the size of your pan.
Step 6: Cook until bubbles form, flip, and cook the other side.
Store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
❄️ Can I Freeze Them?
Yes, you can. Freezing and reheating them doesn't change their taste or texture.
Just make sure to separate the pancakes with plastic wrap or parchment paper so they don't stick together.
- Even if you are using a nonstick skillet you will still want to use vegan butter or coconut oil. It will help the pancakes from sticking and it adds flavor.
- If using almond extract, taste after ¼ teaspoon to see if that's enough for you. Some people find the flavor to be a bit strong. You can also leave it out.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
This chocolate almond pancake recipe is made with gluten free all purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, maple syrup, flax meal, and cacao powder.
🥞 Other Vegan Pancake Recipes
Chocolate pancakes with a hint of almond, yes, please! Any excuse to have some chocolate for breakfast, am I right?
Another chocolate breakfast recipe is my Chocolate Quinoa Bowl.
If you tried this Chocolate Almond Pancakes Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Chocolate Almond Pancakes
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- ½ cup super fine almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon flax meal (ground flax seeds)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla or plain almond milk
- Vegan butter or coconut oil
- Slivered almonds
- Cacao nibs
- Mix gluten free all purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, cacao powder, flax meal, and salt.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond extract, and vanilla almond milk.
- Melt vegan butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Ladle a few tablespoonfuls of batter onto the skillet. Make 1 or two more, depending on the size of your skillet. Cook until bubbles appear and the undersides have browned. Flip and cook the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more coconut oil as needed.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.