These sweet Chocolate Almond Pancakes are the perfect brunch treat! Chocolate and almond are a match made in heaven!
I don't make pancakes often because I prefer a healthy smoothie or something savory for breakfast over something rich and sweet. I am also a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast, making the same thing every morning.
My breakfast normally consists of a smoothie with bananas or berries, almond milk, water, spinach, matcha green tea, and protein powder. Many times I will also add some coffee, peanut butter, coconut yogurt, and coconut oil.
So on the rare occasion when I do make pancakes, I like them to be sweet and indulgent. These Chocolate Almond Pancakes are just that. They are the perfect brunch treat.These sweet Chocolate Almond Pancakes are the perfect brunch treat! Click To Tweet
A Match Made in Heaven
Chocolate and almond are best friends, so these pancakes have the perfect combination of flavors. They also happen to be one of my favorite flavor combinations, and chocolate is my all-time favorite thing to eat for dessert.
So when I can sneak chocolate into breakfast, I am all over it. Usually that looks like a healthy sugar free smoothie with chocolate protein powder. I've tried to make pancakes with my protein powder, but haven't gotten the right consistency yet.
For the chocolate part of this recipe, I used cacao powder which is less processed than cocoa powder. If you have never had cacao before, it is rich in nutrients and thought to be one of the richest sources of magnesium. Cacao is the purest form of chocolate that you can consume. It is a great source of antioxidants.
For the almond flavor I used almond extract and super fine almond flour. Then I added sliced almonds and cacao nibs for some crunch. The cacao nibs balance out the sweetness of the pancakes because they are slightly bitter.
Top these pancakes with your favorite topping like fresh fruit, nuts, or nut butter. I enjoyed mine with fresh raspberries and almond butter the second time around.
Other Indulgent Recipes You Might Like
- Vegan Raspberry Calzones
- Vegan Monte Cristo
- Vegan Gluten Free Blueberry Pancakes
- Peanut Butter and Blueberry French Toast
Chocolate Almond Pancakes
Chocolate pancakes with a hint of almond, yes please! Any excuse to have some chocolate for breakfast, am I right?
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You may need:
Chocolate Almond Pancakes
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup super fine almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon flax meal (ground flax seeds)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla or plain almond milk
- Coconut oil
- Slivered almonds
- Cacao nibs
- Mix gluten free all purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, cacao powder, flax meal, and salt.
- Add agave syrup, vanilla extract, almond extract, and vanilla almond milk.
- Melt coconut oil on a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium heat. Ladle a few tablespoonfuls of batter onto skillet. Make 1 or two more, depending upon the size of your skillet. Cook until bubbles appear and the undersides have browned. Flip and cook the other side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more coconut oil as needed.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.