This Vegan Sweet Potato Salad takes only 20 minutes to make. Made with a vegan honey mustard dressing, it has the perfect balance of flavors.
This Vegan Sweet Potato Salad was inspired by a sweet potato salad that I used to get many years ago from a deli in a local natural health food store.
The potato salad left an impression on me so I had to recreate it. This recipe is made with vegan honey mustard dressing, sweet potato, red onion, and parsley. Simple, right?
This vegan potato salad is perfect for a picnic or BBQ because you can serve it at room temperature. It has the perfect balance of flavors.
You also might like my Quinoa and Sweet Potato Sushi Rolls, Broccoli Salad with Sunflower Seeds and Cranberries, or my Berry Avocado Salad recipe.
- Mustard: I used Dijon mustard because I love the taste. You could also use yellow mustard or spicy brown mustard.
- Agave syrup: Adds sweetness. You could also use maple syrup, but I like the agave syrup because it isn't as strong of a flavor. I tried it with both and found the maple syrup to take over the other flavors.
- Apple cider vinegar: Adds a tangy flavor and balances the sweetness of the sweet potatoes. You could also use rice vinegar or red wine vinegar. You could even try using lemon juice, although I haven't tried it so I cannot speak to the taste.
- Vegan mayo: Adds creaminess and a rich tangy flavor. You could also use olive oil or vegetable oil, which is what I used when I originally posted this recipe.
- Sweet potatoes: I love the balance of flavors with the sweet potato, but you could use red potatoes, white potatoes, or butternut squash.
- Red onion: Adds a strong spicy pungent flavor. You could also use green onion.
- Parsley: Adds a fresh peppery flavor. You could also use fresh cilantro, fresh chives, or other fresh herbs.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
📖 Variations / Additions
You could add a bunch of ingredients to make this recipe a complete meal.
- Roast the sweet potatoes
- Black beans or lentils
- Kale, spinach or arugula
- Dried cranberries
- Tamari Sunflower and Pumpkin Seeds
- Red bell peppers
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Mix Dijon mustard, agave syrup, apple cider vinegar, and vegan mayonnaise in a small bowl.
Step 2: Peel and chop several medium sweet potatoes into bite-sized chunks (mine were about 1"). Place them in a medium saucepan with cold water.
Sprinkle a pinch of salt on top. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium so the water is simmering.
Cook until fork tender, about 12-15 minutes. Drain and let cool.
Step 3: Chop red onion and parsley.
Step 4: In a large bowl add cooked sweet potato, vegan honey mustard dressing, chopped red onion, and parsley.
Toss to combine. Let sit in the fridge so the flavors soak into the sweet potatoes.
- Salt the boiling water with the potatoes. The salt will add flavor and soak into the sweet potatoes.
- The longer the potato salad sits, the more the dressing soaks into the potatoes. I suggest letting it sit overnight.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
This sweet potato salad is made with vegan honey mustard dressing, sweet potatoes, red onion, and parsley.
This vegan honey mustard potato salad will last 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
If you tried this Vegan Sweet Potato Salad Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
I originally posted this recipe on September 1, 2016. I added new photos, text, and a video when I republished it.
Vegan Sweet Potato Salad
- In a bowl, mix Dijon mustard, agave syrup, apple cider vinegar, and vegan mayo.
- Add peeled and chopped sweet potatoes to a deep pot. Add enough water to cover potatoes. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until sweet potatoes are tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl add sweet potatoes to vegan honey mustard dressing. Add chopped red onion, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.