These Vegan Mexican Pinwheels are creamy on the inside with vegan cheese, refried beans, avocado, and more. They're quick and easy to make.
These Vegan Mexican Pinwheels are perfect for a party or get-together. They're super easy to throw together and they are a foolproof appetizer.
They also make a great snack or lunch on the go. Since there's no cooking involved, they come together in no time.
These vegan pinwheels are basically a seven-layer dip in pinwheel form.
For another Mexican-inspired recipe, try my Vegan Enchilada Bowl.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Tortilla: I used a brown rice tortilla to make these pinwheels gluten-free.
- Vegan cream cheese: I prefer a thick dense cream cheese like tofutti or Daiya. Use your favorite.
- Refried beans: I used refried beans with spices for a little extra flavor. You could also use hummus.
- Avocado: I used an avocado that I smashed. You could also use guacamole.
- Salt: Enhances flavors.
- Vegan cheddar cheese: I like Follow Your Heart or Daiya for vegan cheddar. Use your favorite.
- Tomatoes: I used cherry tomatoes. Use whatever you like. You could also use red pepper or other veggies.
- Kalamata olives: Adds a salty, briny flavor. You could also use green olives or leave them off.
- Cilantro: I know some people don't like cilantro because they have a gene where it tastes like soap. You could use green onion or leave it off.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Leave vegan cheese out at room temperature so that it spreads easier.
- Heat the tortilla for 30 seconds in the microwave or on the stove to make it pliable.
- Spread vegan cream cheese on the tortilla.
- Next, spread refried beans on top of the vegan cream cheese.
- Mash avocado and spread on top of refried beans. Sprinkle salt on top.
- Grate vegan cheddar and sprinkle on top of the avocado.
- Chop tomatoes and olives and sprinkle on top of grated vegan cheddar.
- Sprinkle cilantro on top.
- Roll the tortilla tightly away from you.
- Slice with a serrated knife.
These vegan pinwheels will last about 1-2 days wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and placed in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can I Make These Ahead of Time?
Wrap the rolled tortilla in plastic wrap and slice it when you are ready to serve. I suggest only making it the day before eating.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Green onion
- Red pepper or other veggies
- Jalapeño or chipotle pepper
- Spinach or lettuce
- Vegan sour cream
- Spices (if you don't have refried beans with spices): taco seasoning or chili powder or chipotle powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, paprika, and Mexican oregano
Vegan Mexican Pinwheels
- Leave vegan cream cheese out at least 15 minutes to soften.
- Heat tortilla in the microwave 30 seconds or so to make it pliable.
- Spread vegan cream cheese on tortilla to the edges.
- Spread refried beans on top of vegan cream cheese.
- Spread mashed avocado on top of refried beans. Sprinkle salt on top.
- Sprinkle grated vegan cheddar on top of avocado.
- Sprinkle chopped cherry tomatoes and Kalamata olives on top.
- Sprinkle cilantro on top.
- Roll tortilla tightly. Slice with a serrated knife.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.