This healthy Vegan Enchilada Bowl with black beans and quinoa has all the flavors of enchiladas in an easy bowl! Perfect for a weeknight.
There’s nothing like a hot steaming plate of enchiladas being placed in front of you at a Mexican restaurant. You dive in and sigh with delight.
This is the stuff dreams are made of.
Before I started Create Mindfully, I used to think enchiladas were not only intimidating, but time consuming. Now that I have the time, I’ve made a few enchilada recipes.
I no longer think of them as intimidating because I am so familiar with the process. If I am lazy I make vegan chilaquiles, which are known as “destroyed enchiladas” where I’m from.
If you feel like I used to about making enchiladas, I’ve got a solution for you. I introduce to you the Vegan Enchilada Bowl.This healthy Vegan Enchilada Bowl with black beans and quinoa has all the flavors of enchiladas in an easy bowl! Perfect for a weeknight. Click To Tweet
An enchilada bowl is easier to make than enchiladas and it takes less time. It’s got all the flavors of vegan enchiladas, but packaged in a bowl with quinoa instead of corn tortillas.
The rest of the ingredients are ones you’d find in black bean enchiladas: black beans, onion, red pepper, corn, and homemade enchilada sauce.
Add your favorite toppings like guacamole, vegan sour cream, or vegan cheese. I topped mine with homemade guacamole.
Another really easy recipe is my Vegan Enchilada Tortilla Pizza, which is even faster than this recipe!
Can I Buy Enchilada Sauce Instead of Making It?
Sure, but this enchilada sauce literally takes 5 minutes and it is made with pantry staples.
Vegan Enchilada Recipes
How to Make a Vegan Enchilada Bowl
- Quinoa: I used quinoa for this recipe, but you could use rice, or cauliflower rice.
- First, rinse and drain the quinoa, especially if you buy it in bulk.
- If you buy packaged quinoa, make sure to check the label that it is rinsed. It contains saponin, which gives it a soapy or bitter taste if not rinsed.
- Toast the quinoa, if desired. Toasting gives it a nutty flavor.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. I used vegetable broth instead of water to impart flavor. You could use water instead.
- Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes until quinoa is fluffy.
- Enchilada Sauce: Combine tomato sauce and spices. bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Other ingredients: Combine your favorites or the ones listed. I used cooked onion and chopped red pepper, black beans (spicy black beans would also be good), corn (roasted would be good as well), and homemade guacamole.
Vegan Enchilada Bowl
This enchilada bowl is a healthy hearty meal!
*Don’t forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
Vegan Enchilada Bowl
Enchilada Sauce (or use store bought)
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano crushed in your hands before adding
- 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth (add more liquid if desired)
- Heat a pan on the stovetop. Add quinoa and toast for a few minutes (optional).
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Let sit for 5 minutes until the vegetable broth is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy and tender.
- Heat pan on stove. Add olive oil and onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add salt and chopped red peppers. Cook until crisp tender*.
- Enchilada Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup enchilada sauce to quinoa. Mix well. Assemble bowls with red pepper and onions, black beans, and corn. Drizzle enchilada sauce on top of each bowl.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.