These Gluten Free Vegan Tempura vegetables are crispy and satisfying. Eat them with a sweet or savory dipping sauce.
I do not eat fried foods very often, but when I do, I really enjoy them. I fell in love with tempura vegetables many years ago. Since I can no longer eat gluten, I thought I would make my own Gluten Free Vegan Tempura. I am so glad that I did, because these came out just the way I wanted – crispy and satisfying.
I usually have rice flour and club soda in my pantry, and I always have vegetables, so this is a comfort food that I can whip up whenever a fried food craving hits.
I used two different sauces for this. The first was a mustard dipping sauce, which I really enjoyed, because I like the spiciness of the mustard. By the second or third time that I ate these, I wanted a sweet sauce, so I included that link as well.
*Affiliate links below. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you.
Gluten Free Vegan Tempura
- 2 cups of chopped vegetables – I used: red pepper, onion, zucchini, yellow squash
- 3/4 cup cold club soda
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- canola oil or other high heat neutral oil
- mustard dipping sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon low sodium gluten free tamari
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar
- 2 tablespoons amber coconut nectar
- alternative dipping sauce: sweet dipping sauce
- Mix sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix club soda, rice flour and salt. Dip chopped vegetables in batter, removing the excess batter.
- Heat oil in a pan. It should be two or three inches deep. Oil is ready when it reaches 350°, or when a pinch of batter sizzles. If the oil isn’t hot enough, the vegetables will soak up the oil.
- Fry the vegetables, a few at a time to keep the oil hot, turning after they look crispy. The vegetables are done when they are golden and crispy.
- Place veggies on paper towels or a rack to let oil drip off. Sprinkle with salt. Serve with dipping sauce.