These Vegan Cream Cheese Puffs are rich and creamy, with a crispy exterior. Made with only two ingredients, they're quick and easy to make, and really addictive!
Many moons ago, before I was a vegan and could eat gluten, I would load up on cream cheese wontons at the all-you-can-eat buffet at a local Chinese restaurant. It was a treat because the brunch outing was reserved for special occasions.
Going vegan was a no-brainer for me, and I didn't miss anything that I gave up. When I gave up gluten that was another story. It was not a choice, and there are textures that I miss that are hard to recreate.
Last night those yummy cream cheese puffs popped into my brain. I loved the contrasting textures from the crispiness of the wonton wrapper with the creaminess of the cream cheese.
After some experimenting in my kitchen, I came up with these Vegan Cream Cheese Puffs that are both vegan and gluten-free. They will not only become your new go-to comfort food, but they will also satisfy the mouthfeel you are searching for.
They are crispy on the outside, and creamy on the inside. The vegan cream cheese becomes ooey-gooey when cooked, and the brown rice paper wrappers get crispy in places.
These rich vegan cream cheese wontons couldn't be any easier. They are made with only two ingredients and take minutes to make. It's waiting for them to cook that's the hard part!
Serve them with some Vegan Tofu Fried Rice.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- They are rich and comforting.
- They're made with only two ingredients.
- They come together in no time.
- Vegan cream cheese: I recommend a thick, dense vegan cream cheese like Tofutti cream cheese because it is easier to work with and won't leak out the sides of the wrappers. Some brands are downright liquidy.
- Rice paper wrappers: You can use white rice wrappers or brown rice wrappers.
- Sesame oil: If you are frying them. You could also use vegetable oil or olive oil.
- Coconut oil: If you are baking them. You could use another oil spray or oil, like olive oil.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Heat water so that it's warm to the touch.
Step 2: Cut rice paper into ¼s.
Step 3: Dip one wrapper at a time into warm water to make it pliable.
Step 4: Place a tablespoonful of vegan cream cheese in the middle of the rice paper and fold over the sides to seal.
Step 5: Bake or fry until crispy.
- Use cold cream cheese that's solid so that it's easier to work with. I prefer Tofutti cream cheese because of its solid consistency. Some vegan cream brands are downright liquidy.
- If you are having problems with the rice paper sticking to itself, rewet it or wet your fingers to smooth it out.
- Fold the edges of the rice paper onto itself so that the vegan cream cheese doesn't ooze out when you are baking or frying it.
- Let cream cheese puffs sit for a few minutes after they are done so that you don't burn your tongue.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
These vegan gluten-free wontons are made with rice paper wrappers.
If you tried this Vegan Cream Cheese Puffs Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
These two-ingredient vegan cream cheese puffs will have you coming back for more. Just make sure you let them cool before diving in.
This Vegan Cream Cheese Puffs recipe was originally published on December 5, 2014. I've added photos, more text, and a video.
Vegan Cream Cheese Puffs
- If baking, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat water on stovetop or in microwave until hot to the touch.
- Carefully cut brown rice spring roll wrappers into fourths. If you have kitchen shears, this would be the time to get them out, as the wrappers crack easily.
- Dip one spring roll wrapper into the water until pliable. Spread out on a plate.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of vegan cream cheese onto spring roll wrapper and fold so that all the vegan cream cheese is covered otherwise it will be a cheesy mess. Repeat with the rest of spring roll wrappers.
- If Baking: Spray a parchment-paper lined baking sheet with coconut oil spray and place the cream puffs on the lined baking sheet. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes, then flip and bake the other side for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.* If Frying: Heat sesame oil in a medium pan. Add cream puffs and fry until golden brown, then flip and fry the other side.
- Let sit a few minutes - they are extremely hot!
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.