These rich crispy and creamy Tofutti Cream Cheese Puffs are really additive! They are quick and easy to make – perfect for weeknights!
Many moons ago, before I was a vegan and could eat gluten, I would order cream cheese puffs at Chinese restaurants. Going vegan was a no brainer for me, and I don’t miss anything I gave up. When I gave up gluten it was not a choice, and there are textures I miss that are hard to recreate. Last night those yummy cream cheese puffs popped into my brain. I loved the contrasting textures from the crispiness of the pastry dough with the creaminess of the cream cheese. After some experimenting in my kitchen, I have come up with these Tofutti Cream Cheese Puffs that are both vegan and gluten free. They will not only become your new go-to comfort food, they will also satisfy the mouthfeel you are searching for.
Tofutti Cream Cheese Puffs
- 2 brown rice spring roll wrappers
- 8 teaspoons Tofutti Cream Cheese
- coconut oil spray or 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cups water
- If baking, preheat oven to 400ᵒ .
- Heat water on stove top or in microwave until hot to the touch. If using microwave, heat for 3 1/2 minutes.
- Carefully cut brown rice spring roll wrappers into fourths. If you have kitchen shears, this would be the time to get them out, as the wrappers crack easily.
- Dip one spring roll wrapper into the water until pliable.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon Tofutti Cream Cheese onto spring roll wrapper and fold so that all the Tofutti Cream Cheese is covered otherwise it will be a cheesy mess.
- Frying: Fry each side in sesame oil, until golden brown, then flip and fry the other side. Baking: Spray a baking sheet lined with tinfoil. Bake at 400ᵒ for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for 10 minutes on the other side, or until golden brown.
- Let sit a few minutes – they are extremely hot!