This hearty Vegan Lentil Skillet Lasagna is perfect for those nights when you want comforting lasagna but don't want all the work. Made in one pan, it's done in about 30 minutes.
This easy Vegan Lentil Skillet Lasagna is rich and comforting, just like layered lasagna. It's a one-skillet meal, so there's less cleanup.
There's no layering like with traditional vegan lasagna, so it is done in about 30 minutes. You can freeze the leftovers in individual portions and reheat them in the microwave when ready to eat.
You can make the tofu ricotta the day before to make things easier. The ricotta mixture takes about 5 minutes to whip up in the food processor.
Serve it with some garlic bread or vegan breadsticks. Serve some Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms as an appetizer.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is a one-pot meal made in about 30 minutes.
- It's pure comfort food. This easy skillet lasagna is a recipe the whole family will love.
- There's no layering, so it's made in about a third of the time it takes for traditional lasagna.
- Onion: Adds a sweet pungent flavor.
- Olive oil
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- No-boil lasagna noodles: I used gluten-free lasagna noodles. If you aren't gluten intolerant, you could use regular oven-ready lasagna noodles, just make sure to check the cooking time.
- Dry red lentils: I used dry red lentils because they cook in about the same amount of time as the lasagna noodles. You could also use canned, but then I would add them at the end of the cooking time.
- Marinara sauce: You could also use tomato sauce, pizza sauce, pasta sauce, or canned tomatoes.
- Tofu ricotta: Adds a creamy texture and cheesy flavor. I used my homemade tofu ricotta recipe. You could also use store-bought vegan ricotta cheese.
- Nutritional yeast (optional): Adds a cheesy flavor. You could also use store-bought vegan parmesan cheese.
- Fresh basil (optional): For garnish.
- Salt and black pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor. I like to use sea salt.
To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Vegan cheese: vegan mozzarella cheese, vegan parmesan
- Homemade tomato sauce
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Fresh herbs
- Vegetables: red bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach
- Red pepper flakes
- Vegan meat crumbles or vegan sausage (Beyond Meat has gluten-free products), beans, or walnuts (which I used in Zucchini Lasagna)
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: Add olive oil to a large deep skillet on medium heat. I used a cast iron skillet. Add onions and cook until translucent.
Step 2: Add minced garlic. Cook for 30 seconds more.
Step 3: Add marinara sauce and dry lentils to the skillet.
Step 4: Add broken lasagna noodles, salt, and pepper to the skillet.
Step 5: Add water to the lentil mixture. Push the noodles down to make sure they are covered in the liquid. Cook covered until the noodles are tender, stirring every few minutes to make sure the noodles and lentils don't stick to the pan.
Step 6: Add dollops of tofu ricotta. Cook a few minutes more. You can stir the tofu in or leave it with dollops on top. Top or serve with nutritional yeast and fresh basil.
- Thoroughly rinse the dry lentils and inspect them to make sure there are no rocks or debris.
- A cast iron skillet or Dutch oven are great choices to cook the lasagna in. Whatever pan you use, make sure it is large and deep. My cast iron skillet is 10 ¼ inches.
- Make to watch over the lasagna. Both the lentils and noodles stick to the pan if you don't stir it enough.
❄️ Can I Freeze It?
Yes! Let the leftover lasagna cool completely. Place individual servings in freezer-safe baggies or containers.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
This easy vegan skillet lasagna recipe will last 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge or for several months in the freezer.
To keep the noodles and lentils from burning, you are going to need to stir the skillet lasagna often.
Other Vegan Lasagna Recipes
If you tried this Vegan Lentil Skillet Lasagna Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Vegan Lentil Skillet Lasagna
- In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add chopped onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add minced garlic. Cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add marinara sauce, dry lentils, lasagna noodles, salt, pepper, and 1 ½ cups water. Push the noodles down so they're covered by the liquid. Cook covered for 20-25 minutes, stirring every few minutes to make sure lentils and noodles are not sticking to the pan. Add more water as needed.
- Scoop large spoonfuls of tofu ricotta and add it to the top of the lasagna. Heat a couple more minutes. Serve with nutritional yeast.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.