Made in 15 minutes, this Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta is an easy weeknight meal. It's good served hot or cold.
This Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta is perfect for those weeknights when you want a quick and easy meal. Made with mostly pantry staples, you can have this dish on the table in no time.
What Is Pesto Made Of?
Classic pesto is made with fresh basil, parmesan cheese or pecorino (or both), pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, and salt.
This Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta has sun-dried tomatoes in addition to the classic ingredients, and nutritional yeast in place of cheese.
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil: Adds a sweet tart flavor. I used sun-dried tomatoes in oil, but you could use the dry ones as well. Just make sure to soak them in warm water first.
- Fresh basil: Pesto just isn't pesto without basil! Adds a sweet and savory flavor with hints of anise.
- Garlic: Adds a pungent flavor.
- Nutritional yeast: Adds a cheesy flavor. You could also use store-bought vegan parmesan or homemade.
- Pine nuts: Adds a nutty flavor. Pine nuts are another classic pesto ingredient. You could swap them out for other nuts.
- Extra virgin olive oil: A classic pesto ingredient. You could also use more of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Salt: Make sure to add to taste! The sun-dried tomatoes are salty on their own, so watch how much salt you add.
- Penne pasta: I used chickpea penne pasta because it holds the pesto sauce and I like the added protein. You could use your favorite.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
In a food processor mix sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, pine nuts, minced garlic, nutritional yeast, olive oil and salt. Sun-dried tomatoes are salty on their own, so taste to see how much salt you want.
Pour water into a pot. Bring water to a boil. Add penne pasta. Turn down heat to medium and cook pasta 7-9 minutes (or according to the package directions).
Drain water. reserving some of the liquid to moisten the sauce.
Add pesto sauce to the pasta. Add some of the pasta water to moisten it. Stir to combine.
This gluten-free vegan pesto pasta recipe will last about 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
📖 Variations / Additions
- Walnuts, almonds, or other nuts
- Spinach or kale
- Store-bought or homemade vegan parmesan
- Red pepper flakes
Roasted red pepper
Sun-dried tomatoes taste great with chickpeas in a Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Chickpea Salad Sandwich or Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Hummus. They also work well in a Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Vegan Cheese Ball and 5 Ingredient Sun-dried Tomato Soup.
I originally posted this recipe April 19, 2016. I added new photos, text and a video when I republished it.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
- Mix pesto ingredients together in a food processor. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Cook pasta according to directions in salted water. Add the pasta to the pesto, tossing to coat. Add a splash of the pasta water to moisten, adding more splashes of the pasta water to thin, if desired.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.