This vegan Lentil Loaf is moist and flavorful. It will be the star attraction at any holiday party. Made with lentils, quinoa, and vegetables.
This healthy Lentil Loaf is pure comfort food. It has a great texture and it is loaded with flavor.This vegan Lentil Loaf is moist and flavorful. It will be the star attraction at any holiday party. Made with lentils, quinoa, and vegetables. Click To Tweet
How to Make a Lentil Loaf
Toast quinoa in a pan to add a nutty flavor. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes to get fluffy.
Cook onions until translucent. Add garlic, then chopped celery, carrots, and thyme. Cook until crisp tender.
For the glaze mix ketchup and tamari. Spread on top of the lentil loaf. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then, bake uncovered for 8 more minutes.
What to Serve with Lentil Loaf?
- Super Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples with Tahini Dressing
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic
- Vegan Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Gravy
- Roasted Beet and Butternut Squash Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing
- If you buy quinoa in the bulk section, make sure to rinse and drain it. It contains saponin, which gives it a soapy or bitter taste if not rinsed. If you buy packaged quinoa, make sure that it says it was rinsed before packaging.
- Toast your quinoa for a nutty flavor before adding vegetable broth and cooking it.
- You may be tempted to cook the quinoa in water, but the low sodium vegetable broth makes a huge difference in the recipe because it adds so much flavor.
- The brand of vegetable broth can make a difference too. I used Trader Joe's, but there are other great ones out there as well.
- Make sure you add salt to the quinoa.
- You could cook your own lentils if you prefer. I like having at least one short cut to make my life easier.
- Cover the lentil loaf with foil and bake it. That way the loaf and the glaze stay nice and moist. Then, cook it uncovered so that the glaze cooks onto the loaf.
- I used a glass baking dish for this recipe. If you use a metal one it won't take as long to bake.
Lentil Loaf Recipe
This vegan meatloaf is perfect for a main dish at a holiday party. The whole family will love it!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + more for greasing dish
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery chopped (½ cup)
- 1 carrot chopped (¼ cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 15 ounce can of lentils drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup ketchup
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons low sodium gluten free tamari
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Pour quinoa into a pan, and toast for a couple of minutes, if desired.
- Add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add salt. Simmer 15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Let sit about 5 minutes to get fluffy. Set aside.
- Add olive oil and chopped onions to a hot pan. Cook onions until translucent over medium heat, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add minced garlic. Cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add chopped celery, carrot and dried thyme. Cook until crisp tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add onion, celery, and carrot mixture, cooked quinoa, ground flax, and lentils. Mix and mash with a pastry blender or potato masher.
- Add ketchup, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Oil a 9 x 5 x 2 ½" loaf pan or line it with parchment paper. Pour mixture into pan and press down.
- Glaze: Mix ketchup and tamari. Spread on top of lentil loaf.
- Cover lentil loaf with foil. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes* covered, then take foil off and bake for 8 minutes longer. Let sit 15 minutes so that it can firm up.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.