This easy classic Vegan Macaroni Salad is perfect for potlucks and parties because it can be served at room temperature.
This Vegan Macaroni Salad came about because I had a major craving for it. It came out of nowhere and for no reason, and I knew I just had to make it.
I am so glad that I did. Sometimes the simplest recipes are the most satisfying.
Macaroni salad is the quintessential Summer salad. I don't even remember the last time that I had macaroni salad. It's probably been 10 years or more.
So before Summer is over, do yourself a favor and make this Vegan Macaroni Salad. You'll be glad you did.
It's perfect for a picnic, potluck, BBQ, or party. It can be served at room temperature, which is a host's dream come true. Eat it for lunch or as a side dish for dinner.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Vegan mayonnaise: Adds a rich creamy flavor. You could use vegan sour cream or vegan yogurt, but it won't be as rich tasting as vegan mayo.
- Apple cider vinegar: Adds a tangy flavor. You could use red wine vinegar or rice vinegar.
- Sugar: Adds sweetness. You could also use maple syrup or agave syrup.
- Dijon mustard: I like Dijon mustard, but you could also use yellow mustard or even a small amount of mustard powder.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
- Red bell pepper: Adds a sweet crunchy flavor. You could also use a green bell pepper.
- Celery: Adds crunch. It's a classic ingredient in macaroni salad.
- Red onion: Adds a pungent flavor. You could also use green onion.
- Elbow macaroni noodles: Hence the name of the pasta salad. I used brown rice gluten-free pasta. You could use chickpea elbow noodles or your favorite.
- Cook pasta according to the directions. Make sure to salt the water. I like to add a splash of olive oil when I cook brown rice pasta. Drain water.
- Mix dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add cooked pasta and chopped veggies to the dressing. Toss to coat.
This macaroni salad will last 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Taste as you go. Taste the dressing, taste the salad ingredients, and taste the final product. You may want more or less sugar, red onion, etc.
- Salt your pasta water! I've noticed that most pasta products fail to mention this on their directions for cooking the pasta, but it's very important. Pasta soaks up the salt as it cooks. It's important to season at every step in cooking.
- I also add a splash of olive oil to my pasta, because brown rice pasta loves to stick together. That's purely optional, but I find that it helps.
📖 Variations / Additions
Customize this to your liking!
- Sweet pickles or dill pickles
- Sweet pickle relish or dill pickle relish
Other Vegan Pasta Salads
Before Summer ends, make some vegan pasta salad for that last picnic or potluck!
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here's the brown rice pasta I used to make the vegan macaroni salad. I love the taste of it.
🧂 You May Need
Vegan Macaroni Salad
- 8 ounces dry brown rice elbow noodles (2 cups)
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped (½ cup)
- 1 small red pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- Make pasta according to directions. Make sure to add a large pinch of salt when water is boiling. Optional: add a splash of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Mix dressing ingredients. Add cooked pasta and chopped vegetables. Add more salt and pepper as needed.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.
Leave a Reply