This Jackfruit Tuna Salad takes about 10 minutes and has a similar taste and texture to tuna salad.
Being vegan for over twenty years, it's been a very long time since I've had a tuna salad sandwich. I can still remember the flavor and texture though, and this Jackfruit Tuna Salad Sandwich comes pretty close to the original.
It has a fishy flavor from nori seaweed and the texture of tuna from canned jackfruit.
It tastes great in a sandwich. Add some lettuce, tomato, or whatever you like.
You could also make it into a vegan tuna melt. Keep it open faced and add some vegan cheese on top then place in under the broiler to melt.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Vegan mayo: Adds creaminess.
- Mustard: I used Dijon mustard, but you could also use yellow mustard.
- Lemon juice: Adds tangy flavor.
- Pickle relish: Adds sweet tangy flavor.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
- Jackfruit: Has a similar texture to tuna. I used canned young green jackfruit.
- Celery: Adds crunch. You could also use red bell pepper.
- Green onions: Adds pungent flavor. You could also use red onion.
- Nori: Adds an ocean flavor. You could leave it out.
5 Secrets to Transforming Tofu
FREE 5 part email series to help you cook tofu like a pro.
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. Pull it apart with a fork or your hands and chop it. You can also use a food processor by using the pulse setting so that you can control how finely it gets chopped.
- Mix vegan mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and sweet pickle relish in a bowl.
- Add chopped jackfruit, celery, green onions, nori, and salt and pepper.
What Can I Use Instead of Vegan Mayo?
You could use plain unsweetened vegan yogurt. Greek style would work the best because it's got a thick consistency. You could also use vegan sour cream.
- If you don't have nori, you could substitute dulse flakes, kelp flakes or another seaweed.
- If you prefer dill relish use that.
- To make this recipe faster, use a food processor to break apart the jackfruit. I did it by hand because I prefer larger chunks.
This jackfruit tuna salad recipe will last up to 5 days when stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
- On a bed of lettuce
- In a wrap or vegan tuna sandwich
- With crackers
- Made into a vegan tuna melt
There are many different plant based ingredients that could be used for vegan tuna. For this vegan tuna salad recipe I used jackfruit because it resembles tuna when it's pulled apart and it has a similar texture.
🥪 Other Vegan Sandwiches
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Jackfruit Tuna Salad
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. Pull it apart and chop it. Set aside.
- Mix vegan mayo, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and sweet pickle relish.
- Add chopped jackfruit, celery, green onions, nori, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.