This Vegan Monte Cristo is rich, sweet, and savory. Eat it for breakfast or other times of the day. It is perfect for the holidays!
Sandwich Making Kick
This Vegan Monte Cristo is just one of many sandwiches that I made during a sandwich kick that I went through awhile back. One of my all time favorites during that phase was my Vegan Teriyaki Reuben with Spicy Thousand Island Dressing, probably because it has my favorite flavor combination – sweet and spicy. Yum!
Another couple of recent favorites were my Roasted Cauliflower Sandwich with Red Pepper and Black Olive Tapenade and my Vegan Submarine Sandwich. I am eating low carb right now, so just writing this post is making me salivate!This Vegan Monte Cristo is rich, sweet, and savory. Eat it for breakfast or other times of the day. Click To Tweet
I have seen many variations of the Monte Cristo, but as I understand it, it is normally made with cheese, ham or turkey, and dipped in egg before being grilled or fried. It usually has mustard or mayo, and served with jam. Like so many recipes, I had to veganize it. Instead of meat and cheese, I used tofu bacon and vegan Swiss cheese.
This Vegan Monte Cristo is sweet and savory with a touch of spice from Dijon mustard. Raspberry jam adds a tart, sweet component, and vegan Swiss gives this sandwich a rich, creamy flavor.
Vegan Monte Cristo
If you are looking for a veganized Monte Cristo sandwich recipe, look no further, this rich sweet and savory sandwich will hit the spot.
*Don’t forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
*Update since writing this: Thanks to a reader, the bread below is my new favorite bread. It is soft and fluffy like white bread.
It is Northern Bakehouse millet chia bread. I highly recommend it.
Vegan Monte Cristo
- Whisk unsweetened plain almond milk, ground chia seeds, and gluten free flour together until lumps are gone. Set aside.
- Spread raspberry jam on two slices of bread. Spread Dijon mustard on the other two slices of bread.
- Put 2 slices of vegan Swiss and 2 slices of tofu bacon on top of raspberry jam. Top with the remaining slices of bread, mustard side down.
- Brush a pan with olive oil. Heat on medium high heat. Dip a sandwich in the batter. Put in pan and cook both sides until golden brown. Repeat with the other sandwich.
- Toast or broil 3-5 minutes, if necessary, until vegan Swiss cheese is melted.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.