This gluten free Vegan BLAT is so good, you won't miss the bacon! It has a sweet and savory roasted red pepper spread to compliment the savory tofu bacon.
In the 17 years that I've been vegan I have not missed bacon once. Having a blog where I share vegan recipes, I realized how great it is to share vegan substitutions.
There are many people looking for foods to help them transition to a more plant based diet. My Tofu Ricotta has become one of my most visited posts so far.
So, I figure I'll just keep on creating vegan substitutions to show how easy eating a plant based diet can be.
I used tofu bacon to make this Vegan BLAT. After making some almond bacon awhile back, I knew I would have to use the marinade on tofu also. It has a sweet and smoky flavor from maple syrup and liquid smoke.
I think this is one of my new favorite sandwiches. I added a roasted red pepper spread for a sweet and savory flavor.
If you thin it with water after refrigerating it, it can also be used as a salad dressing.
The buns you see are made from Pamela's Pizza Mix. I fell in love with their mix after my local grocery store quit selling my previous favorite pizza mix.
A vegan BLT with avocado, yes please! This will become a favorite for lunch or anytime.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I used Pamela's pizza mix to make the buns. If you're vegan and gluten free like me, you're going to want to check it out. It's got a wonderful yeasty flavor.
Roasted Red Pepper Spread
- 1 red pepper (½ cup chopped) or roasted red pepper from a jar
- olive oil
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Roasted Red Pepper Spread: Preheat oven to 450°.
- Drizzle olive oil in a pan. Slice red pepper in half, remove seeds, and place with skin facing up on pan. Drizzle a little more olive oil on top. Roast @ 450° for about 25 minutes, or until charred. Remove skin after peppers have cooled.
- Mix all roasted pepper spread ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Refrigerate overnight so mixture will thicken.
- BLAT: Spread red pepper mixture on a slice of bread. Layer tofu bacon, sliced avocado, sliced tomato, and lettuce on top. Top with another slice of bread or enjoy open faced.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.