This rich savory Vegan Reuben Sandwich is filled with gooey vegan Swiss, tofu bacon, and the best sauerkraut that I have ever had.
After making one of my favorite recipes, a Vegan Teriyaki Reuben with Spicy Thousand Island Dressing, I knew a classic Vegan Reuben Sandwich was in order.
The teriyaki version is sweet and spicy, whereas this Reuben is more sweet, smoky, and savory. It is one of many sandwiches that I was enjoying on a sandwich phase awhile back. (I tend to go through phases of what I eat.)
One of the great components of this Vegan Reuben is the sauerkraut. I used a garlic dill pickle sauerkraut by Farmhouse Culture (not an affiliate). I could sit and eat this stuff for a meal it is so good!
I used tofu bacon because it has a sweet maple flavor with a touch of smokiness. To add a rich flavor, I used a vegan Swiss cheese. It tastes richer than the Swiss cheese that I remember, but then I have been vegan for about eighteen years.
How To Make This Recipe
- Make the tofu bacon and the vegan Thousand Island dressing.
- Toast two slices of bread.
- Top one of the slices of toast with tofu bacon and vegan Swiss cheese.
- Toast or broil until Swiss cheese melts.
- Spread vegan thousand island dressing the other slice of toast or serve on the side.
- Top with vegan sauerkraut.
- Top with the other slice of toast.
- Slice in half, if desired.
This Vegan Reuben Sandwich is rich and savory! Click To Tweet
Other Vegan Sandwiches
- Portobello Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Sliders
- ALT (Avocado, Lettuce, and Tomato) Wrap
- Veggie Sandwich with Basil Pesto Hummus
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Store tofu bacon in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Store vegan Thousand Island for up to 10 days. See the package on the raw sauerkraut for how long it lasts.
I don't recommend storing assembled sandwiches because they can get soggy.
Additions / Variations
- Spicy Vegan Thousand Island Dressing
- Pickled onions or peppers
- Vegan provolone or Mozzarella cheese
This tofu reuben will make you feel like you are eating out at a vegan deli without leaving home.
*Don't forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
*Update since writing this: Thanks to a reader, the bread below is my new favorite bread. It is soft and fluffy like white bread.
It is Northern Bakehouse millet chia bread. I highly recommend it.
Vegan Reuben Sandwich
- Toast the bread. Top with tofu bacon and vegan Swiss cheese. Either toast or broil open-faced for several minutes, until vegan Swiss melts.
- Spread vegan thousand island on toast (or serve on the side for dipping). Top with raw sauerkraut. Place the other slice of toast on top. Slice in half and serve.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.