This Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a quick healthy lunch. Eat it by itself or in a wrap. It can even be eaten as a dip with crackers.
This Chickpea Salad Sandwich is the vegan version of a classic. It has the flavors of an egg salad sandwich but with chickpeas instead.
I've used the same flavors with tofu in a Vegan Egg Salad, which is actually more the consistency of an egg salad.
If you want to mimic tuna salad, you could add some seaweed for an out-of-the-ocean flavor, which is what I did for my Jackfruit Tuna Salad recipe.
This sandwich is well balanced, with sweet flavors of sweet pickle relish, and savory flavors of celery and red onion. Mustard and vegan mayo marry it all together.
The result is a sweet and savory salad with creamy and crunchy textures.
The flavors get stronger after sitting in the fridge overnight. It is the perfect salad sandwich for a quick and easy lunch.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- It is made in about 15 minutes.
- It is packed with flavor.
- It's the vegan version of a classic; what's not to love?
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): Adds a creamy texture.
- Celery: Adds some crunch. You could also use red pepper or carrots.
- Red onion: You could also use green onion.
- Vegan mayonnaise: I love Vegenaise by Follow Your Heart. Use your favorite vegan mayo.
- Mustard: I used spicy brown mustard because that is what I had on hand. You could also use Dijon mustard or yellow mustard.
- Pickle relish: I used sweet pickle relish because I love the sweet flavor, but you could use dill pickle relish if you prefer.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances flavors and adds flavor.
- Bread: I used gluten-free brown rice bread. Use your favorite.
This is an overview of the ingredients. To see the full list of ingredients with measurements and instructions, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
5 Secrets to Vegan Cooking
Free 5 Part Email Series to Elevate Your Vegan Cooking
We respect your privacy. Unsubscribe at any time.
Step 1: In a large bowl, mix dressing ingredients.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, add chickpeas and mash. You could also add them and the dressing to a food processor and pulse until you get the consistency you want.
Step 3: Add chopped red onion, celery, and pickle relish.
Step 4: Stir to combine.
Step 5: Spread on toast with your favorite toppings.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
This chickpea salad recipe can be eaten for lunch or dinner. Serve it as the main dish, as a side, or on toast for a sandwich.
Yes, chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing.
Other Vegan Recipes
This easy vegan sandwich is perfect for a quick vegan lunch.
If you tried this Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and let me know how you like it in the 💬 comments below. I love hearing from you!
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Mix vegan mayo, mustard, sweet pickle relish, and salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl mash chickpeas, then add to dressing. You could also put dressing and chickpeas in a food processor and pulse until you get the consistency you want.
- Add diced celery and chopped red onion and mix well.
- Spread on toast with your favorite toppings like lettuce, tomato, and pickles.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.