This rich savory African Peanut Stew is comfort food in a bowl! It will soon become a family favorite.
This African Peanut Stew is one of my new favorite foods! It is so delicious that I could eat this on a regular basis. It has some of my favorite ingredients: sweet potato, eggplant, garlic, ginger, peanut butter, sriracha, and onion.
Put them all together and voilà, a great dish is born. It is satisfying, comforting, and a great all around meal.
I used low sodium vegetable broth because it gives me control of the amount of salt in my food.
I have gotten used to not having a lot of salt in dishes, so keep that in mind while making this dish. You may want to add more salt than listed.
Also, I thought this had a good amount of spice, but you may want to taste as you go, and add more or less sriracha and serrano pepper.
African Peanut Stew
The whole family will love this vegan peanut stew!
*Don’t forget to come back and leave your feedback and star rating.
Affiliate links below. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You May Need:
African Peanut Stew
- 1 onion (2 cups, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 serrano (2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (4 cups jewel yam, chopped)
- 1 medium eggplant (6 cups, chopped)
- 1 small yellow squash or zucchini (1 1/2 cup, chopped)
- Sauté chopped onion in olive oil until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, ginger, cumin, and coriander and cook for about 1 minute longer, until fragrant.
- Add vegetable broth, tomato paste, salt, pepper, sriracha, serrano, peanut butter and sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until sweet potato starts to soften, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add chopped eggplant and squash. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
*Note: Nutrition information should be considered an estimate only. Different nutrition calculators give you different results.